b16a2 into a EJ6 again... [long]

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Axel

Hey.

I'm from europe so i guess most of this applies to EUDM cars, but i will try to be specific. Remember that emissions do not play a big role here, so disregard that.

I've come across a great deal on a wrecked stick/manual 94' del sol VTI (obd1), same as USDM SiR(?). It's stock with a b16a2 in it.

I can pretty much get what i want from the wreck.

I want to swap it all into my stick/manual 97' Civic coupe iLS (eudm vesrion of EJ6 DX d16y7). I have read quite a few threads here, on HT and other sites, but still have a few q's i need answers for and a few thoughts on the swap i need to have confirmed before i start.

So here it goes - Please check for errors?

-I will get the engine, tranny, radiator, exhaust manifold (with b-pipe/cat), all connectors, etc.

-I will rip all the mounts/brackets with the engine and use as much as possible in my car when i swap. I will get the rear mount from a usdm gsr or a eudm EK VTI (the 96-98 Civic's with the b16 in it). Will it drop into my civic without more issues then, or wil i need more mounts?

-I will use the p30 obd1 ecu from the delsol in my car and hook it up with a boomslang obd2a -> obd1 harness, and use my old DX 97 harness that is allready in my car.

-Will my old DX cluster work fine? My tach goes to 8k rpm. lol.

-I will wire the VTEC and knock sensor into it all and rewire for 2-wire IAC. When i wire VTEC, all i need is to wire the VTEC solenoid connector to the ECU at the right points, right? Same with the knock sensor, just run the wires into the harness and to the ECU, right? (Of course i will use all your good references with pics here.)

-I've read alot of different things about the alternator, what do i need to do here? Use the one from the B16, get a obd2 b16 alternator? What?

-If the axles on the sol' look good will they fit my car? Or will i have to get some EK VTI (again, the eudm 96-98 civic with the b16a2) axles form the dealer?

-I allso need a new shift rods (,or whatever they are named. The long rods from my shifter to the tranny.). theee i will get from the eudm EK VTI.

-I will use the stock exhaust mani from the sol' and use the downpipe and cat from it too... i will just cut/weld it to my old cat-back if it does not bolt up. I guess this will work fine? :wink:

-What about power steering? Can i just keep the PS pump, bracket, belt, reservoir, etc. from the del sol, or should i use my old one from the civic? Or is it better to just screw the whole PS and ditch it? :wink:

-I will not use A/C, so we will not need any thoughts on this.

-The radiator, it will bolt up ok i guess, and if the upper/lower hoses (from either the sol' or the civic) presents any problems, i will just get some universal hoses and make them fit or something.

-If the break system looks ok i will take off the disc setup on all 4 sides and try to make it work on my Civic. It fits on my car, right? All i need is the 40/40 valve and the e-brake line from a EK with rear-disc setup (or maybe a 99-00 si)?

-And will the rear swaybar from the sol' fit my civic?

So does it look like i have got it all right then? Sorry for looong post and n00b questions, but i want it all to be perfect when i start. This is my first engine swap ever, have only done a IM swap on my d16y7 before. And this is my only car and daily driver. :wink:

Yeah, and i will just cut the injector connectors off my civic harness and use the connectors from the b16. :mrgreen:

It looks about right, maybe someone else will chime in on what I missed, but make sure you have a lot of time to gather your parts and tools.

Since the motor is out of the car change out the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. really easy to do, and also get a new clutch kit as well, if the one on there is beat. The axles should fit, but I wouldn't have first hand experience since I have a fifth gen. Power steering? I wish I had it.

Quoted post[/post]]
-I will get the engine, tranny, radiator, exhaust manifold (with b-pipe/cat), all connectors, etc.

unless the radiator is a dual core, don't bother. its the same thing. if it is a dual core, then go for it.

-I will rip all the mounts/brackets with the engine and use as much as possible in my car when i swap. I will get the rear mount from a usdm gsr or a eudm EK VTI (the 96-98 Civic's with the b16 in it). Will it drop into my civic without more issues then, or wil i need more mounts?

you need the 99-00 em1 USDM civic si rear mount and drivers side (in the US at least... ) mount as well.

-I will use the p30 obd1 ecu from the delsol in my car and hook it up with a boomslang obd2a -> obd1 harness, and use my old DX 97 harness that is allready in my car.

sounds good

-Will my old DX cluster work fine? My tach goes to 8k rpm. lol.

yes.

-I will wire the VTEC and knock sensor into it all and rewire for 2-wire IAC. When i wire VTEC, all i need is to wire the VTEC solenoid connector to the ECU at the right points, right? Same with the knock sensor, just run the wires into the harness and to the ECU, right? (Of course i will use all your good references with pics here.)

yep... pretty much just follow the diagrams that are in the reference section for the wiring.

-I've read alot of different things about the alternator, what do i need to do here? Use the one from the B16, get a obd2 b16 alternator? What?

either get an obd2 b16 alternator (the us em1 will work) and it will plug right in, or just re-wire the harness from the b16 to paste onto the d15's harness.

-If the axles on the sol' look good will they fit my car?

yep. they will work. all b-series axels are the same. (well, exlcude ITR's)

-I allso need a new shift rods (,or whatever they are named. The long rods from my shifter to the tranny.). theee i will get from the eudm EK VTI.

yup. the del sol ones won't work... different bends. em1, or vti will be fine. as will any integra models pre 2001 (RSX chassis here in the states)

-I will use the stock exhaust mani from the sol' and use the downpipe and cat from it too... i will just cut/weld it to my old cat-back if it does not bolt up. I guess this will work fine? :wink:

should bolt up fine.

-What about power steering? Can i just keep the PS pump, bracket, belt, reservoir, etc. from the del sol, or should i use my old one from the civic? Or is it better to just screw the whole PS and ditch it? :wink:

well, thats your opinion. but if you do ditch it, make sure you "loop" the power rack. more on that later if thats what you want to do. otherwise, if the swap has the ps on it, just use that. if not, you'll need a del sol bracket and your d-series pump.

-I will not use A/C, so we will not need any thoughts on this.

very well then :p

-The radiator, it will bolt up ok i guess, and if the upper/lower hoses (from either the sol' or the civic) presents any problems, i will just get some universal hoses and make them fit or something.

the hoses will be fine... the d-series radiators have slightly smaller ends. the b-series motors have larger diameter hoses. just use the del sol's witht he del sols radiator, and you're golden. the only difficult part is that the radiator itself might use different mounting brackets. i'm not sure off hand.

-If the break system looks ok i will take off the disc setup on all 4 sides and try to make it work on my Civic. It fits on my car, right? All i need is the 40/40 valve and the e-brake line from a EK with rear-disc setup (or maybe a 99-00 si)?

the brakes can be swapped- yes. you dont NEED the 4040. your stock one will work. but you can change it if you like. you got the parts car there, use that one :) e-brake, yup, EM1 99-00 si.

-And will the rear swaybar from the sol' fit my civic?

no. the lca's are different. you might be able to fab something up to make it work, but i'm pretty sure it won't bolt on

So does it look like i have got it all right then? Sorry for looong post and n00b questions, but i want it all to be perfect when i start. This is my first engine swap ever, have only done a IM swap on my d16y7 before. And this is my only car and daily driver. :wink:

i think you'll be just fine.

but since its a dialy driver, i'd sugget taking one step at a time.

do the motor.

THEN do the brakes. don't try to do it all at once, or you'll be walking for weeks. lol

Thanks alot pissedoffdelsol. :worthy:

It's a dual core rad, so you gotta love it and i wanna use it. :wink:

Ill do the brakes and stuff first. I do not want to be pulled over in a b16 civic with dx brake drums and all that. :blink:

Concerning the PS stuff -

I will use the bracket/pulley/belt and all that from the sol' and just let my civic reservoir and all that stay in the car. So i will just hook up the fluid feed to the pump that is allready attached to the B16. Hope that will work out ok.

Mounts -

You say i need the driver side mount too, wich one the upper (the one you see when you open the hood) or the lower (down by the wheel/crank and all that)? And will not the Del sol mount fit?

Dizzy connectors -

What do i do here? Rewire my harness so i can use the b-series connector on the dizzy? Or buy a obd2 b-series dizzy?

One more thing:

The map sensor is located on the firewall on the same bracket as the fuel filter on the delsol, and on the TB on my civic.... So, what do i do here? Disconnect the fuelfilter with the bracket from the civic and bolt on the shit from the sol'? Will my fuel feed to the filter (from my civic) fit the del sol filter? Or should i just bolt in or strap down the map sensor someplace on my firewall and keep the civic fuelfilter/bracket?

-Thanks again.

Quoted post[/post]]
The map sensor is located on the firewall on the same bracket as the fuel filter on the delsol, and on the TB on my civic.... So, what do i do here? Disconnect the fuelfilter with the bracket from the civic and bolt on the shit from the sol'? Will my fuel feed to the filter (from my civic) fit the del sol filter? Or should i just bolt in or strap down the map sensor someplace on my firewall and keep the civic fuelfilter/bracket?

-Thanks again.

Option 2 is best in my hummble opinion. Then again ive never done this swap, but i do not see any reason why drilling 2 small holes in the firewall would be a probelm. It sure wasnt a problem when i had my alarm put in.

Thanks.

Any thoughts on the PS setup and the Mounts? (See earlier post^^^^)

I've found a wiring diagram for the Dizzy, so ill just rewire the obd1 unit to fit my obd2 harness.

As for the driver's side mount....

What do i need? #1, #2 or #3?

mount_drawing.gif

Back