B16A2 into EG! Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Al_Aspirated

Sorry I have not introduced myself the proper way (Again). I am copying and pasting this off a different forum that i posted this thread in. I really need to get this going and for some reason I haven't been able to get the information I desperately need!

I have a 1992 Civic DX (EG) I have a B16A2 motor with no transmission, computer or harness. Currently in my car I have a D15B7 (Non Vtec) with the stock econo-gearbox. I want to find out some important information about doing this swap.

1. Is it possible to use my econo-box transmission with the B16A2? I know the outcome will be slower acceleration due to the gearing.
2. Will my stock wiring harness (with proper modifications) work with this motor and still hit Vtec with the proper ecu?
3. What kind of ECU would I need? Mind you that my car is OBD-1 (Obviously) and i'd still be using the OBD-1 Harness. Would i need a computer out of a Vtec del-sol?

Also, this motor came out of a 92 Integra in which i took the motor/trans mounts out of. If i am not mistaken these mounts should fit my EG with the B16A2 Correct?

Any input will greatly be appreciated!!!!!!!

1.) No, your D15's transmission will not work on the new motor. A B-series engine needs a B-series transmission.

It is possible that you could make it work via an expensive adaptor plate, but it would be pointless really. You'll spend more on that then you would on just buying a B-series gearbox, and for what? Crappy gear ratios?

If you plan on running a B16, you really do want a short-geared tranny. Any engine will accelerate quicker with shorter gears, but for the B16 that's especially true. It makes all it's power way up top in the RPM band, so you want a tranny that that will get you there quick and keep you there between shifts.

2.) Yes, you can modify your current wiring harness to work. Did the engine not come with a harness? You may need to buy an adaptor harness from somewhere like Rywire (www.rywire.com) since that particular B16 is actually an OBD2 motor. If it already has OBD1 accessories on it though (and it might, since it was being used in a 92 Integra), then you should be ok.

3.) You have some options here. If you plan on keeping the motor stock, then yes, I'd look for an OBD1 P30 from a Del Sol VTEC and run it that way. If you're thinking you might like to get it tuned in the future, then you can use something like a P28 (92-95 Civic EX/Si ECU) and have it chipped and loaded with a custom map to run your B16.

For the mounts, I'm honestly not sure. The 90-93 Integra has more in common with the 88-91 Civic then it does with the 92-95 version. You may need to get mounts from a Del Sol VTEC or a 94-01 Integra. Maybe somebody else could chime in on this question?

Wow thanks for the response man!! That cleared a lot of things up.

Yes the motor has OBD-1 accessories on it. It was running on OBD-1 with no Vtec.

So if I were to get an ecu (del sol or si civic obd-1) how much harness modifying would it take? Let's say I get the DX to D16Z6 Vtec subharness all i have to do is tap in the subharness onto the correct pins and route it to the Vtec solenoid and *poof* we have vtec?

Also one more question, there was a trans on the motor, only thing is that it's a cable trans. You think I can go rip the parts off a car in the junkyard or would i have to buy a kit to make a cable clutch work on my car?

Thanks!!!

Back