B16A2 into ek vtec crazy problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

theyanswer

Hey everybody,

i swapped a b16a2 into my ek and i cant get vtec working.
i have no codes, it is converted to obd1 ( chipped p28, working fine in other cars) and have tried obd2 ecu and still no codes. i've checked the oil pressure from the 10 mm bolt infront of the head and its at 25 psi, when i manualy engage vtec reving it at 6000 rpm, the pressure still doesn't move. thinking thats the prob , how to fix it?

if anyone knows how to fix it or as pointers for me, it would be very very appreciated. cuz no one around me knows how to fix it.

The VTEC solenoid screen can get clogged. Some say it isn't serviceable but others say you can clean it and change oil/oil filter.

I believe you can buy a new screen.

You have an extra ecu...so can you get an extra vtec solenoid? If so...yea...swap it out and check

Maybe VTEC oil pressure? Check it and it should be 7lbs or higher (this is out of helm manual for the b18c)

You don't have CEL so i can't see it being a short (continuity) but stranger things have happened....you can check for continuity and see if the solenoid is good with a multi-meter. But its a long shot with no CEL's

You are driving or reving when you can't get VTEC to engae at 6K?

ive tried different solenoids and nothing still.
i've tried to hit vtec driving and jumping it in neutral. i'm out of ideas.

Check ground and oil pressure solenoid (>7lbs)

Was this a frankenstein swap or straight up B16a2?. Some frankenstein swaps require taking the oil jet out of the block in order for oil pressure to be great enough for VTEC to engage. Also, you can buy new gaskets from the Honda Dealer with a screen right in it. Have you taken the solenoid itself off the head. Also, there should be 3 bolts connecting the top of the solenoid onto the body of it. If so, I suggest taking the top off and making sure the actuator inside moves easily. If you can clean the whole thing then re-install it that would be definately worth a try then. By the way I've only worked on D-Series motors, so somethings may not apply to your build but most should. GL!.

its a straight up b16a2, i took the solenoid apart cleaned it, re checked all my wires and tested them. is there anything that could be f*cked in the head its self?

i'm out of ideas so i'm checkin what u guys tell me

thx for all the replies by the way

I just rebuilt my D16y8 head and realized how VTEC works. I realized that the pins in the rocker arms switch to go into place to hold open the VTEC at whichever RPM it is activated at, by any chance did you mess with the rocker arms?. Also, on my y8 head there are 4 actuators (1 per cylinder) for VTEC and maybe those need to be lined up correctly?.
D15BHead.jpg

See the actuators sticking out of the rocker arm assembly (the highest points on the assembly) those are what I'm talking about, it appears as I took them out that there is a specific way to re-install them, you may want to check that. Don't bother if you don't have a torque wrench because this assembly will need to be torqued back down to spec.!. Can you by any chance show some pictures of your head (no pun intended!, lmao) with the valve cover off?.

when you say you changed solenoids...and since I said check vtec oil pressure solenoid I'm guessing you meant that you changed that too?

i never did anything to the head, i've changed every sensor on the head.
the most i did to the head is take the valve cover off . and sensors on the outside of it.

Is your EK wired for VTEC? (from engine bay to plugs in the kick panel)

68954646oi3.jpg

This is a B16a2 VTEC solenoid.
From what I see you Oil Pressure Switch should have (blk/blu) wires. The black wire is the ground I presume and the blue is the wire that feeds into the ECU itself. The solenoid wire itself is Yellow, make sure you have the same VTEC solenoid as your engine or else VTEC won't work.

same solenoid and yes its all wired up, cuz i hit vtec once and never again.

Is the car wired (EX) or did you add the wiring? If you added wiring...then check the connections at the ecu too.

It could be internal...but don't see that being the situation.

i had an Si (sohc vtec) boosted before this, every thing worked fine. everyone that came to check it out checked the wiring and its all good , its a big mystery.
is there a way that i can blow the oil passages without taking the head off?

Last edited:
I apologize but I'm stumped too....mystery for sure.

Only thing that worries me is the oil part of VTEC. You should just check the oil pressure on the solenoid....may be a clog.....? And oil pressure is important to the motor staying together....duh...just worries about your motor blowing

Maybe your just used to it now so it doesn't feel like your hitting VTEC, jk. Could this problem be in the ECU, maybe have it checked if it worked once and never again. Maybe a connection is messed up internally in the ECU. I'm not trying to scare you but you just never know!. Also, if you did add wiring as CAFROG mentioned, did you re-solder the joints and use heat-shrink?

check the wires going into the ecu?

the "SI" sohc vtec...I'm guessing you mean the D16Z6? In an EK that waas....once again....wired from factory or it was converted?

IF IT WAS converted (with your SOHC turbo set up)....look at the connections for VTEC going INTO the ECU.

They could've came out....unbolt the ecu and look....feel the vtec wires in plug

Back