b16a2 obd-2 into 5th gen ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h1coupe

ok a friend of mine is gonna swap in a b16a2 motor into his ex(esi) 92 4door.
so do the plugs of the obd-2 engine fit into the plugs in the ex!

i´m not sure about this, but i said to him that it should fit but he said his friend tried it and it didn´t hook up.

i read in the swap articles about putting a gsr obd-2 engine into a 5th gen and there it says it plugs right up minus some minor rewiring, so this should be the same?

It's still a 5th gen, so yes it'll BOLT right in with the proper OEM mounts, but NO it will not just plug straight in. You'll have to convert some of the wiring to OBD1 standards.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 15 2005, 04:30 PM
It's still a 5th gen, so yes it'll BOLT right in with the proper OEM mounts, but NO it will not just plug straight in. You'll have to convert some of the wiring to OBD1 standards.
[post=461276]Quoted post[/post]​

how much of the wiring do we have to convert!

the thing is there are few obd-1 b16a2 motors going around here, probably fewer then 10 in the whole country!
i have one that was hydrolocked, but someone cut the wiring on it so we can´t use it, it´s missing at least 1connector.
so what are our options what can we use?
can we use the wiring of the d16z6 motor?

we don´t want to replace the whole electrical system with obd-2. so any alternatives are welcome!

i´ve been into this honda scene for many years now, but this swap thing is all new to me? so please swap gurus help me out :worthy:

i should be telling you to do a search! but your lucky im nice today!! :p

im gonna say this very simply, you want details and have msn add "paultheshocker@hotmail.com

ok, first off there is no such thing as an obd 1 b16 a2, b16 a2 came in obd 2 cars only.

so im assuming you have a b16 a2 out of a 99 / 00 civ SI??

use your d series harness.. if your car didnt have v tech you gotta add the two v tech wires and have the connector for the vtech sol. and v tech pressure switch.

everything will plug in. except you wont have a knock sensor on your harness, dont worry about it. and your purge valve connector, you will need an obd 2 one, good luck, its not essential so i left mine unplugged!
now you will need obd 1 injectors, they dont have to be b series ones, they can be your old d series ones, you will need an obd 1 alternator, (has to be a b series, and integra obd 1 will work, prolly the easiest to use) and you will need an obd 1 V tech distributor, d series wont fit, i used a 95 GSR one. that pretty much takes care of your wiring issues. also you need del sol V tech shift linkage, or a b series linkage that will need to be extended. you will need 99/00 civic si drive axles.

i think your civ might have the catalytic converter right at the exhaust manifold., if it does you will need use hte b series manifold and downpipe and buy a cat to weld in under the car behind the oil pan!

all mounts will fit except the rear t bracket, i ordered a 94 del sol DOHC and it wouldnt fit, i think honda sent me the wrong mount to be honest, so i ordered a 97 dohc bracket and it fit like butter, all other stock d series mounts will fit! :)

Back