b16a2 or h22a

Which one of these would you swap into a 92 4dr civic and why?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok let me clear one thing up........THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET TO 250 HP THEN....!!!! i will like the extra pull power but i don't have money just setting aroud to throw at this or i would do a k20 or a fully build gsr. just trying to get as far as i can the easiest and cheapest way i can.

i am shooting for 250 out of my b16 but i am going boost so if you are looking for 250 and high rpms b16 is the way to go i just drove in my boys 2000 with an h22 it was fast but his handling sucked ass cheeks

Originally posted by reikoshea+Jul 10 2005, 11:01 PM-->
Yall all KNOW i said H22. Its a bitch to install, but its got some insane posibilities. If you see Phillips (the owner of InterCrew in Dallas) EG with an H22, youd see what im talking about. That thing is sick. I would hate to be a Lude looking at that EG. Id just run home and cry. Go all motor on an H22 in an EG and just eat your competition. I hear it takes some serious suspension, but in the end the wow factor off the line will be worth it.
[post=523894]Quoted post[/post]​

I didn't get a chance to drive it the last time I was in town... Phillip wanted me to check it out, but he didn't have the car at the shop. Next time. I practically lived there for a year or two, so I'm about due to take over "my lift" for another few months.

:lol:

Originally posted by nismogod@Jul 11 2005, 08:49 PM
250whp is a stretch for a honda. unless you dont mind spendin some $. NA that is. and 350whp NA....it can be done, but i hope you dont want a car you can drive around. lol.
[post=524444]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah. 250whp in an all motor B really isn't that hard anymore- just takes the right combination of parts and some tuning.

tip
@Jul 11 2005, 09:32 PM
ok let me clear one thing up........THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET TO 250 HP THEN....!!!! i will like the extra pull power but i don't have money just setting aroud to throw at this or i would do a k20 or a fully build gsr. just trying to get as far as i can the easiest and cheapest way i can.
[post=524465]Quoted post[/post]​

Cheapest cheapest way is to use nitrous.... cheapest repeatable way without refilling a bottle all day long is to run a SOHC VTEC with forged pistons/rods and some boost. Next cheapest way (or still cheaper) is to run a B18A/B swap with some boost.

all those cons of the h22.....

you remove power steering and AC if need be, plus 60lbs is easily overcome with suspension. a passenger weighs more then that.

you dont need to resleeve. Mahle makes pistons specifically for this.

get a closed deck h22.

parts are not that hard to come by.

the shifting thing can be overcome with tuning.

its not that hard to put in.

you do need a slim fan.

silly misconceptions. Nitrous rules :-D

OK here it goes:

----buying H22A for my civic coupe: $2500+

----hours spent finding low availability H22A parts: 100+

----clearance issues found installing motor and seeking aftermarket parts: 7 (so far)

----stomping the torqueless b16 in the other lane: PRICELESS

That's a general idea of what you're going to experience........ I wouldn't trade it for the world

wow, you had to look that hard for parts? lemme know if you need somethin bro, i found all my stuff easy. 93 CX ;-)

destroying other honda kids. heheh.

You swap an h22 in your car you will destroy pretty much any b16 you come across. There are alot of fast b16s out there... But similarly modded a b16 will never be able to keep up.

My h22 was a bear simply because it was a EuroR the iacv was a pain in the ass and a few other things i ran across. But i have done probably 7 h22/23 swap and as long as you spend the money properly they are not that hard. And the new h series motor mounts from Hasport are sooo nice. I also used thier axles on my swap which i am very impressed with.

Here are a few pics.... This should be enough to help you with your decision.

h22-1_smaller.JPG

h22_smaller.JPG

josh%20eg%20001_small.JPG

josh%20eg%20002_small.JPG

josh%20eg%20003_small.JPG

josh%20eg%20005_small.JPG

This car is on the road now. I have beaten everything i have raced. Including a caddlilac CTS-V a few LS1 TA's A PLETHORA of GT mustangs and LT1 cars. Have yet to lose to a honda. And have yet to take it to the track. Tires and traction bar are on the way and then ill hit the strip.

h22 will throw you into the back seat, but its no cakewalk like the b series swap. If you want torque, high r's and fairly straight forward swap take the b16 head and throw it on a gsr block. It will run about 11.1:1 compression will like 150 ft-lbs of torque. poor mans Itr all the way.

Originally posted by killercannible@Jul 17 2005, 11:09 PM
h22 will throw you into the back seat, but its no cakewalk like the b series swap. If you want torque, high r's and fairly straight forward swap take the b16 head and throw it on a gsr block. It will run about 11.1:1 compression will like 150 ft-lbs of torque. poor mans Itr all the way.
[post=527759]Quoted post[/post]​

actually the B16 head will lower the compression of the (JDM) GSR about .2:1

OK I think that i am going to go with the h22 but i want to keep my a/c. Has anyone done this or know of someone who did.....can it be done...???? price????
and what tranny to use. I have been told that the b16a hydro tranny will not let it fall out and vtec and will keep it in the power band through every gear....is this true and is this the best set up or not....????

Yo irhavok thats one sick ass setup man. How much did all the parts cost total if you dont mind me asking?

You might be able to keep ac, but im not sure. You should be good using the h22a tranny that comes with the swap package.

Originally posted by tip@Jul 17 2005, 11:39 PM
OK I think that i am going to go with the h22 but i want to keep my a/c. Has anyone done this or know of someone who did.....can it be done...???? price????
and what tranny to use. I have been told that the b16a hydro tranny will not let it fall out and vtec and will keep it in the power band through every gear....is this true and is this the best set up or not....????
[post=527800]Quoted post[/post]​

yea, check this out.

http://www.jdmshit.com/hcp/index.html

about 40% down the page.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jul 18 2005, 12:22 AM
Yo irhavok thats one sick ass setup man. How much did all the parts cost total if you dont mind me asking?

You might be able to keep ac, but im not sure. You should be good using the h22a tranny that comes with the swap package.
[post=527817]Quoted post[/post]​

If you want to discuss my swap hit me up am PM or aim me irhavok is my aim..

the h2b tranny adapter plate is an awsome idea and worked out VERY well for the townsend brothers. However, i just dont think enough of them are on the road and fully functioning yet to fully trust it. I an very interested in the idea but i am going to wait a year to see how well they last on other peoples cars.

Besides if you are tuned and can shift properly you wont fall out of vtec on an h22 tranny.

i'm thinkin about switchin to the b-series tranny eventually too. depending on if i stay with the honda. i may go RWD turbo. eh. good luck with the swap.

irhavok, that is one sexy ass motor.

tip, if you didnt already decide, i was gonna say go h22. sure its a little harder, but it is also gonna be more fun in the end.

good luck.

Nismogod is missing something here. Yes a passenger weighs mor ethen the h22 swap, but it's positioning of that weight that matters. A passenger is sitting in the middle of the car, on the right, counterbalancing the weight of the driver and using all 4 oints of suspension to hold the aditional load. The h22a is 60 extra pounds right over the front axel, and for the most part, infront of it. The weight isn't the issue here, it's the placement. Take an h22 and set it in the center of your car and drive around... not much difference... now set it infront of your axle and take that same corner...

My swap opinion for price, LS. 140hp 145tq, loads of potential, cheap parts, easy boost, and the fact that a few people have done this swap will make it alot easier to get feedback on issues in the future. GL!

:withstupid:

i really dont know why everyone hates the B18B... it has shit loads of potential... and stuff for it is generally less expensive (cams for instance are about 1/2 the price of VTEC cams)

Originally posted by 5thGenLuvin@Aug 3 2005, 01:39 AM
Nismogod is missing something here. Yes a passenger weighs mor ethen the h22 swap, but it's positioning of that weight that matters. A passenger is sitting in the middle of the car, on the right, counterbalancing the weight of the driver and using all 4 oints of suspension to hold the aditional load. The h22a is 60 extra pounds right over the front axel, and for the most part, infront of it. The weight isn't the issue here, it's the placement. Take an h22 and set it in the center of your car and drive around... not much difference... now set it infront of your axle and take that same corner...

My swap opinion for price, LS. 140hp 145tq, loads of potential, cheap parts, easy boost, and the fact that a few people have done this swap will make it alot easier to get feedback on issues in the future. GL!
[post=535036]Quoted post[/post]​

As if h22s havent been done... we are dealing with hondas here guys... we arent swapping in ferrari motors or building turbine powered hatches..... Everything that can be done with in reason has been done. There is nothing really new about swapping motors and there are a plethora of guys out there that can give him insight on an h-swap....

Back