b16a2 swap help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 93 civic dx with d15b7 engine. I want to put in the b16a2 engine. I was wondering if I needed to get a JDM or a USDM engine, or if it even makes a difference. I also want to find out if anyone knows of a good place to get this swap package. I would appreciate help with this thanks

I did read the tech articles and I know what motor I am putting in, those weren't the questions I was asking. I need to know if it makes a difference if I get a JDM or a Usdm, and also the best place to get one

JDM engines have more HP because they run higher compression than their USDM counterparts. A B16A2 is a USDM motor, the B16A with no number is the JDM version, but watch out there are a few versions of it... The XSI (OBD-I from an Integra), the SiR-I (OBD-0 from a Civic usually mated with a cable tranny) and the SiR-II (OBD-I from a Civic with the hydro tranny).

My suggestion would be to grab the SiR-II JDM complete changeover from Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com That way you'd be sure you're getting the right one, for a decent price, and with fast shipping from my experience... and with the changeover you'll get the correct shift linkage and axles, plus the ECU.

The problem, however, is that with the JDM you'll have to run higher octane gasoline, preferably 93 if you can get it in your locale. But I'm not positive, you may have to run premium with the USDM variants too, even with the lower compression. Also, JDM motors have fewer emissions controls, so if you have strict smog laws, you'll want the USDM counterpart.

Another thing that I ran into with my swap (D15B7 to B16A as a matter of fact) is that you'll need either an aftermarket bracket for the stock one or a new throttle cable from a 99-00 SI I believe, and also radiator hoses from the 99-00 SI or a Del Sol VTEC.

Back