B16A2 Turbo Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jignesh

Hi Guys,

I am from Bombay, India and have just carried out a B16A2 swap in my 1992 Honda City Type Z. I further went ahead and plopped in a Turbo kit. Am running on the stock block with a upgraded valve train. Boost is set at 7PSI.
Am listing below the list of mods and stuff that has gone into the car.(Please excuse the Caps as have copy pasted from another post of mine.)

1> PORTED/POLISHED HEAD WITH STOCK COMPRESSION.
2> COMP CAMS MID DURATION STREET
CAM
3> FIDANZA ADJUSTABLE
CAM GEARS
4> FERREA DOUBLE VALVE SPRINGS
5> FERREA ALUMINIUM RETAINERS
6> FERREA STAINLESS STEEL VALVES. HIGH COMP CUT
7> MELLING TIMING BELT
8> HONDA OEM BEARING KIT
9> HONDA OEM GASKET KIT
10> COMETIC MLS HEADGASKET
11> ARP RACING HEAD BOLTS
12> COMPETION CLUTCHES (CC)- STAGE 2 CARBON KEVLAR CLUTCH SET
13> PHANTOM GRIP LSD
14> EDELBROCK VICTOR X RACING INTAKE MANIFOLD
15> WALBRO HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
16> AEM FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
17> GARRETT GT28R BALL BEARING TURBO
18> GARRETT INTERCOOLER
19> TURBO SMART 38MM EXTERNAL WASTE GATE
20> BOOST MASTER BLOW OFF VALVE
21> BLOX RACING LOG TYPE CAST IRON TURBO MANIFOLD WITH 3”PIPING TILL THE ENDCAN.

22> CUSTOM STAINLESS STEEL TURBO PLUMBING
23> NOLOGY PLUG WIRES & POWER CORE IGNITION CORE
24> WILWOOD 4 PISTON BRAKE SET FRONT(286MM)
25> HKS S30i IRIDIUM PLUGS

26> REAR DRUM BRAKES CONVERTED TO DISCS
26> COILOVER SUSPENSION
27> FRONT & REAR STRUT BRACE
28> YOKOHOMA AVS SPORT 205/50/15 TYRES ON LENSO
29> RACE DYNAMICS STAND ALONE ECU - RD 0601 PRO RACE
30> HONDA TYPE R INSTRUMENT CONSOLE

31> AUTOMETER SPORTS COMP GUAGES(OIL TEMP, WATER TEMP , BOOST/VACCUM)
32> HKS TYPE-0 TURBO TIMER
33> RECARO SEATS IN MATCHING ART LEATHER INTERIOR.

Given below is a link to some pics of my car
OHC with Turbo Charged B16A2 Engine - viper’s Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

This is a link to the Stand Alone ECU I am using.
::..PRODUCTS..::

Coming to my problem. I have been observing that the car is eating up a lot of oil, say 1ltr every 1000kms.I had installed the Oil Temp guage only a few days back and it shows 180* F within 5 minutes and goes to about 235*F in a span of 20 minutes of spirited driving.

1> What should the ideal Oil Temp be.
2> What is causing the oil consumption there are no leaks.
3> There is no smoke from the exhaust.
4> Assuming the oil is evaporating due to the temp what is the solution to the problem.

Please let me know if you need me to provide any further info.

Thanks in advance.

Jignesh

Hey, nice thread. It was easy to read and easy to find your questions, which makes it easier to answer. :thumbsup:

Anyway, it appears that you are running a stock oil pump. I'd probably start there, get an aftermarket oil pump and an oil cooler.

Oil does not evaporate, and those temperatures shouldn't even make it burn. Your turbo has bad seals or your rings are bad, or there is some other internal leak. If it's not leaking onto the ground, it's going out the exhaust.

Hi,

Yes I am using a stock oil pump & water pump. My tuner had also advised me to go in for a oil cooler. Any suggestion on which brand(not too expensive) model, size for both. Will have to import the same which is not a big deal.

Also what is the max boost I could go to without causing any damage to my engine keeping in mind the internals are all stock and our avg temperatures here are about 36*C with approx 80% Humidity.

Jignesh

You can safely boost that motor into the 300HP range, but after that reliability and life span of the motor will start to suffer.

Honestly, go to a scrapyard and pull an oil cooler out of a small truck or some other vehicle. Find one that's the right size and you'll save a lot of money. Just give it a good flush first.

Hi,

Yes I am using a stock oil pump & water pump. My tuner had also advised me to go in for a oil cooler. Any suggestion on which brand(not too expensive) model, size for both. Will have to import the same which is not a big deal.

Also what is the max boost I could go to without causing any damage to my engine keeping in mind the internals are all stock and our avg temperatures here are about 36*C with approx 80% Humidity.

Jignesh

an oil cooler probably wont solve your problem. just like klyph said, the problem is most likely internal within the turbo itself. as for the boost situation, you have to look at max hp, NOT boost settings. the strength of engine parts is based on hp. how much boost it takes to get to that hp# depends on your fuel delivery, and how competent your tuner is. with a stock-bottomed healthy b16, you should look for about 230-260whp which your tuner should be able to make on 8-10psi

Oil does not evaporate, and those temperatures shouldn't even make it burn. Your turbo has bad seals or your rings are bad, or there is some other internal leak. If it's not leaking onto the ground, it's going out the exhaust.

Hi Klyph,

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me for asking which may sound like a dumb question but, How do I check and know if the Turbo has bad seals or the oil is going out the exhaust.

Also my 1st question remains un answered. What should the ideal Oil Temp be.

Jignesh

an oil cooler probably wont solve your problem. just like klyph said, the problem is most likely internal within the turbo itself. as for the boost situation, you have to look at max hp, NOT boost settings. the strength of engine parts is based on hp. how much boost it takes to get to that hp# depends on your fuel delivery, and how competent your tuner is. with a stock-bottomed healthy b16, you should look for about 230-260whp which your tuner should be able to make on 8-10psi

Still, an oil cooler isn't a bad idea.

I wasn't sure beause the OP said it wasn't burning oil out the exhaust, which means it must be burning somewhere else.

Now that I look at the temps, it must be burning out the exhaust (which means a leaky seal), I don't think thats hot enough for it to burn elsewhere.

Hi Klyph,

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me for asking which may sound like a dumb question but, How do I check and know if the Turbo has bad seals or the oil is going out the exhaust.
There will be a buildup of black gunk on the turbine wheel and you should see some blue smoke out the exhaust.
Also my 1st question remains un answered. What should the ideal Oil Temp be.

Jignesh

Not sure, middle of the gauge? :lol:

Hi,

For the time being I think the greater problem is the Oil Temp. Yesterday for the first time after fitting the gauge got the chance to take the car for a slightly long drive at night about 20kms. Without pushing the car over 6500 Rpm I found that in a span of 10 mins or approx 4 kms the needle went to 235F and in 15 mins to 250 F and stayed there even after I practically cruised the car at 70kmph back home in 4th gear.

Any idea on what could be causing this. Can i install a oil cooler similar to the one found in the EVO and would that solve my problem or will I need to install a uprated oil pump as well.

Will be looking into the Turbo seals this weekend. I am ruling out the rings as compression is OK and plugs appear tan in colour.

Jignesh

You can install any oil cooler you want to really. All it needs is a feed and return line and a proper mounting place and you should be good to go. I put one on my Volvo. It was really easy.

You should have plenty of oil pressure to run a small cooler, just make sure the turbo is still getting an adequate supply. Is your turbo water cooled, or just oiled?

As you probably know, the turbo will heat up the oil significantly, are you running conventional motor oil or synthetic?

If you run a quality synthetic such as Royal Purple or similar, you shouldn't have any oil-burning issues.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that completely. Way to go klyph :thumbsup:

i am currently turboing my b16a2 and am comfused about where to put the oil feed and oil return pipes plz help cheers steveo

Next time start your own thread. Or better yet, research first. That answer can be found all over the net.

Not only that, but if you are asking that question, I'm not too sure you should be messing with installing your own turbo..

Back