B16A3 harness tie in to D16Z6 harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok here it goes...
I have a 93 civic ex and took out my D16Z6, ECU, and wire harness... When the B16A3 harness was disconnected it was cut from the passenger side underneath on the passenger side fire wall. Where it was detached I started installing the wiring harness for the new B16A3 :D . So i'm pretty much trying to tie in a DOHC harness into a Sohc.
I started by taking out everything from the underside of the passenger side glove box for easy access.. Then I began removing the wires from the D16 harness, then crimped to the B16 harness one by one. I was hoping that the wires would have the same colors so I could just snip 'n crimp. I realize that the wires may not have the same color codes on them, but I started anyways.
Of the wires that are left, the colors somewhat match but the lines on the wires are not matching...:confused:
For instance a black wire with yellow lines, and silver stamp every other inch or so. Verses a black wire, yellow lines, but with 2 silver stamps every other inch... Or a solid baby blue wire, and the only other matching wire is blue w/ a yellow stripe. These are just a couple of them...
The wires that I have left alone do not match either of the colors on either end of the harness. I have a haynes manual for all SOHC 92-95 civic/ del sol models. But I have no idea what im looking at, and the diagrams are squares.:huh: I have not a clue how to interpret them. Not to mention I'm not using a sohc motor anymore. I guess what my question is, could I put the closest colors together? Probably not a smart idea, and thats why I'm here. If need be I'll type every wire I see. But I think thats a bit much. Help lol

nope.. they're both obd1 vtec harnesses.. should be straight plug in

nope just tried plugging in the D16Z6 harness into the B16A3 motor and only 2 of them come close... On the opposite side of the motor from where I disconnected it that is. Still having an issue here.

weird.. obd1 vtec harnesses should be the same..

i'm running an JDM b16 sir2 which is the same thing as the b16a3 here in the US just slightly lower compression and my stock VX harness worked fine

does anyone know?

It's an ex model if that helps any? I got the motor off a friend for a fair price. Maybe cuz he knew that wiring it up was gonna be a bitch. lol.
would you know if theres another thread like mine on site? I'll keep looking I guess...

what car did your friend have the motor in??.. he may have converted obd and swapped some plugs.. because everything should just plug in

hmm

I can't get a hold of him right now cuz he's away on fam emergency. I'll try again though..
I'm trying to remember; I'm pretty sure it came outta a 96 or 97... But the more iv'e looked into it, i'm thinking maybe it's 94-95???
How could I tell the difference between a usdm motor vs. jdm if able? Maybe theres a conflict with the production years, they may have been making different wires 94-95 / 96-97. Idk but I have to know.
I know its off topic but I my cars been sittin on stands for 2 weeks tomorrow. Went to, "unstake" the axle from the hub right... Wrong there wasn't anything there to unstake... Then broke 2 wrenches, 2 sockets, 1 crow bar, and a ball joint. So you can guess that shit was harder to take off than trying to stop mexicans from crossing the border... lol
Now I've ended up having to replace the entire hub assembly. Yea sucks..
Anyways how can I wire this up, and decipher a year?

if it has b16a3 its USDM.. b16a would be jdm.. but on the head right above the exhaust ports is has some numbers that look like this 9/3 0/2 etc.. go see what those are and the first # is the year the head was made so you can determine the obd of it..

92-95 harnesses are different than 96-00 harnesses.. he may have converted to obd2 if the car was a 96-00

Alright the numbers were written upside down 9/4, /2, 1/4, /8... So this means its outta a 94 model right? Can you tell what the OBD is now? what should I be looking for next?

Last edited:
its an obd1, but if he had it in a 96 or 97 like you said, he may have converted the plugs to obd2.. ask him and that'll explain why they dont plug in

its from 94' del sol

I guess I had thought right about the year of his del sol. I met with him today, and he thinks it's odd... He thought that it was going to match obd1?? Luckily by chance he has some swap books... I'ma see if I can scan'em:rolleyes: lol

Engines finally in yesss

Yes I'm sure. I tried the harness that I cut out of the car 1st, and none matched. Out of every combo tried, like 2 clicked and locked. So I used the del sol harness instead, idk but there all in now. But I still gotta mess with all the wiring by the pass side firewall. I've been dreading that part until my friend got back to me about those books. I guess he's coming tomorrow so hopefully with any luck she'll be running soon.^_^
I just got done droppin', bolting, and plugging the engine in... Oh and it looks tight... hah haa. :cool: Iv'e been at this like all day since 1:00pm, now its 1 /4 to 2 am haha. Almost got everything back in place, and for some reason putting it in was much easier than out. For me thats unusual haha..

you should be able to fit the z6 harness to the B16a3 without cutting it, all you have to do is plug it in and add knock wires. then if you seperate the O2 wires from the main wire loom without cutting you can re route them to the O2 sensor location on the B16a exhuast manifold. if he converted it to obd2 you may have to cut and splice some of the sensor plugs onto your z6 harness. find out exactly what you have because something isn't adding up, this is about as easy as it gets when doing a swap

gl

get back to us when you know exactly what motor and harness you have

Frustrated with idiots

$h!Te, yeap its official, ima definitely a noob tard.:huh: Alright both the harness and the motor are from the 94 del sol. They were not changed... I tried plugging the b16 harness into the motor b4 I even attempted the swap... However I didn't try the z6 because I was under the impression from what some people were telling me, that the only way it would work is with the b16 harness...
:oops:
Damn I hate people who don't have n e idea what they're talking about. They prolly just like to hear them selfs talk so they sound smart... That reminds me of something I heard a while ago; Its a proven fact stupid people have stupid children. So if ur'e a little less than slow, please don't have sex.... :eek:

Anyways moving on, I just tried the z6 harness... I have no idea how I could've friggin' missed this. I did use the z6 harness, but only on the drivers side of the engine bay, and it plugged in just fine. As for the pass side of the engine bay, I cut them in behind the fire wall believing there was no alternative... Now this should be tons of fun re-wiring the damn thing. I'm so pissed off right now. :rawr:

Back