B16a4(EK4 SiR) Into EX Coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KyleBrockway

G'day Guys,

My names Kyle and I am from Perth in Australia. Last year I performed an engine swap into my 96 Civic Coupe VTi EJ8(I think you call this an EX Civic?) The engine swapped into it is a B16a4 from an EK4 SiR release in Singapore/Malaysia(AsianDM). I am still having some post swap problems so Ill give you all the information I can cand hopefully ill get some answers as Local forums are just full of e-Mechanics, where as Hondaswap seems a little more technically based.

STAGE ONE:
Ok so when you first start up the car it Idles at about 1200 Rpm. This sounds normal but it doesnt lower to normal idle speed once the car is warm. Also VTEC will not activate. One more thing is that once the car is rolling, just coasting with clutch in the idle is around 2000 Rpm untill you come to a complete halt, then it drops back down to 1200Rpm.

STAGE TWO:
Ok now here is the interesting part. You drive it like this until it's completley warm, say like 10Kms(6 Miles) and then turn it off. Then restart the car. After 50m(150Ft) of driving the CEL(MIL) comes on. Now the rolling high idle is gone, the standstill idle is 800 Rpm and VTEC works! WTF?

FYI the codes are Knock Sensor and ELD.

It continues to behave like this until I park it and leave it long enough for it to completley cool down(Overnight) and then its back to stage one where I have to drive it for 10Kms then turn it off and back on again to trigger the CEL(MIL) an in turn get it to behave normal.

Another thing is that I can also get it two STAGE TWO: another way. While the car is in STAGE ONE: if I grab the "D Plug" of the ECU and quickly pull it out to make the car die, but plug it back in before it stalls, the MIL comes on obviously but it goes into STAGE TWO: (Normal Idle, VTEC ect ect)

THINGS I'VE DONE TO TRY AND RECTIFY THE PROBLEM:
- Intake manifold has been taken off, all gaskets replaced.
- Cleaned IACV.
- Replaced IACV with another.
- Cleaned replacment IACV
- Have taken the complete wiring harness out and checked for default, split wires, short circuts ect ect.
-Checked, Double checked and tripple checked all Vacuum hoses and the complete EVAP system.
-Tried wiring in an ELD with no help, code still remained.
- I also tried bargaining my soul to the devil but it didn't help either.
- Ive checked all plugs into all sensors(MAP, IACV, Oil pressure everything)

SOME POINTS THAT MAY HELP:
-
I am using the EK4's Engine, Wiring harness and ECU(Should be no problems)
- On install the internals of the distributor were missing, so I took out the insides of my D16y8 Dizzy and built a hybrid Distibutor.
- When I bought the halfcut the reason for the missing internals was that it was using an external coil(MSD type ingnition), but was corroded due to rain ect so couldn't use.
- The ECU had partly been in the rain, but I tested it on a mates EK4 and it worked with no problems.

QUESTIONS:
- Can anyone please give me a definitive answer on where the 3 wires of the ELD go to? One wire comes out of the ECU for EL(ELD) and goes into the harness, but it sure as hell doesn't end up at the ELD, because all the wires goto engine sensors not the Fuse box.
- Is there a sensor or something inside JDM an AsianDM B16a Distributors that isn't present in USDM and Aussie D16y8s? Could that be the problem?
- Can some one please help me, this has driven me to tears so many times, Iv'e spent not hours but literally weeks on end trying to diagnose the problem with no avail. And by god it probably isn't helping my depression but thats another thread for that problem :p .

Any help that can be given is greatly apprecitated

Regards

- Kyle (Downunder)

BTW.

Sorry for sounding a little foward stating what I want but to many times have I posted my porblem and some Kid has said "errr have you checked for vacuum leaks"

I also tried bargaining my soul to the devil but it didn't help either
Sorry, Satan hates hondas. all of us here have realized that. he wont help you.

and i'm glad you're from australia because i hate new zealanders.

anyways, i'm not quite sure what an "ELD" is but i would fix that if you are getting a code. also, i would consider changing the knock sensor.

if you took your dizzy apart, i would seriously consider just replacing it with a b16 dizzy and checking the timing. you were pretty thorough with everything else though, so i would keep it simple and start there.

ELD is the electronic load detector, used in JDM/Asia it detects if you turn on your headlights ect, and raises the idle to make the alternator put out more juice.

I was under the impression that ELD and Knock shouldn't affect the car as these are commonly Chipped out when using OBD1 ecu's.

Thanks for reply.

Did you check your coolant temp senor? I know if proably isnt the problem but mined idled funny with that until it was warmed up. Just a thought

UPDATE:

I wired in knock sensor and ELD so now I have no codes :)
BUT i still have the whole stage 1 and 2 thing :confused:

Hahahaha

Same thing

Dude I have the exact same problem on a 96 Civic hatchback with it's stock D16Y7!!!!!. Did you manage to find the fault?

This problem appeared when I changed the alternator, A/C, timing and power steering belts. I also changed the valve cover and oil pan gaskets, the fuel filter, injector o'rings. One more thing; since I was changing all off this I decided to clean and check everything from the inteke and fuek injection system, maybe when I pluged everything back on I missed something, I've checked a few times but everything seems to be in order.

I think that we are missing some connection and the ECU goes into safe mode or something.

I hope we find a solution to this.

Cheers

Major Breakthrough

After spending 4 hours analizing wiring diargrams, I started the car and disconnected the engine coolant sensor, wallah it went into stage 2. But it didnt through a code. But still I think we have found the source of the problem being the ECT.

YAY!

Back