b16b or b18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vpower

I got a 91 si with a b18c jdm Gsr swap in it...my friend has an eg with a b16b ctr swap and I have been looking for a ctr...now that I have the oppurtunity presented to me I figured I should ask the peeps from HS just to see what's up...thanks for ur advice...the question is should i trade my b18c for the b16b???

Last edited:
I would get the b16b. GSR motors are a dime a dozen where as b16 type r's are much more rare. I would personally love to have one in my civic, so I consider you extremely lucky. Also, depending on what you have done to your GSR, you won't have much, if any power loss.

That's why I'm considering the ctr just cause they're rare...also by having a 1.6 I can get the swap barred can't I???

idk....I've heard that it won't pass emissions and I've also heard that it will pass. Research further!

Well, do you race, or "hard park"? The GSR engine is going to make more power and torque. The most powerful B16Bs are stroked with B18 crankshafts anyways.

I don't race like go out looking for em...its my daily driver I just get those occasional guys and girls on the fwy sometimes...I like the power and response of my b18c and few of my friends tell me the b16b is faster...I was just curious...

If it's an even trade, might as well go for it and build a sleeper(toss a 1.8l crank in there).

Supposedly the CTR engine makes more power, but I've always seen them run fairly close to the GSRs(most likely the GSR has more power under curve).

Last edited:
Goes back to physics; but if you look at the dyno charts for the effective RPM range(where the motor spends it's time); it's the total power for the area on the chart it takes up.

I've attached a very crude illustration(not accurate by any means). Let's say GSR is blue, and B16 is red.

"power under curve" is synonymous with "area under curve" ; the shaded areas. You can see that the are for the blue part is larger than the red area.

Attachments

• crude dyno.jpg
    crude dyno.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 690
So since there is more blue should I stick with my b18c since it has more power curve???I also believe my car I a lil sleeper now...I do need to build more to it..

b16b would be fun but really the b18c is a better option. make some small mods to the b18c and you will be happy.

What would u recommend as far as some of the small moss...all I have is an aem sri and type R intake manifold...

Wait, type r intake manifold or type r intake manifold style?

If those are your only mods then I would say get a nice header like the rmf replica or the tri y header. There is a vendor here in the for sale section that sells them and they are very nice upgrade for the money. I would follow that up with 2.5-3 inch exhaust.

I would add a larger throttle body and then down the road start looking into a set of type r cams maybe. These are all baby steps but will make enough power to be fun.

So since there is more blue should I stick with my b18c since it has more power curve???I also believe my car I a lil sleeper now...I do need to build more to it..

That's not an accurate chart, just an example of what power under curve is and how it's applied.

B18C is my vote. Its out performs and is considerably more entertaining with the butt dyno IMHO. I have driven 92-95 hatches (mine and friends) with a variety of swaps. B16A, B16B, B18B1, B18C1. The B18B1 felt the strongest in city driving (under 4k rpm's shifts) but my friend's old EG with a B18C1 was a beast and would beat my old LS swap by 1.5 cars every time (both had I/H/E). The B16B I drove (once) was pretty weak feeling under 6k rpm's.....but it did rev up in the end.

But if you like to hard park at the local JDM meet.....the Type R is fancier :shrug2:

Thanx for the advice...I actually have a type R intake manifold...I know it isn't possible going on a p72 head but the guy who had the swap before me had the type R intake manifold cut and welded to the p72 head...has no leaks and I tripped out untill I seen the weld...very clean job and has no leaks :) thanks k2e2vini fo clarifying abt the chart...is the rmf header better than the tri y header???

Back