B16B -R Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

How do these engines compare? b18c and b16b. The later has more HP and the first more torque and they are both expensive as hell.

Any experience?

truoss

I like the B16B because I like the 1.6 and I like the high rpm HP but torque is good too over all I like the b16b dont ask why :D

Just get the B18C, the only reason to get the CTR imo is cuz of the rarity. And its latter, not later.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Oct 16 2003, 09:46 PM
I beleive he is talking about ITR vs CTR, and I will take that bet.

Hes talking about the GSR, read the title

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Oct 16 2003, 09:38 PM
i bet $$ a b18c1 will beat a b16b in a race.

And unless motors drove themselves and had wheels, we wont EVER know who wins that race, the B18C1 could be in an Integra, and the B16B could be in a completely gutted EF hatch. Im sure you mean all things being equal, but they are not.

Originally posted by NoJokE+Oct 16 2003, 09:52 PM-->
Afipunk21
@Oct 16 2003, 09:46 PM
I beleive he is talking about ITR vs CTR, and I will take that bet.

Hes talking about the GSR, read the title

It dosen't say the secondary title "compared to GSR" on the main page....I'd get the GSR if you plan on adding in internals or boost, B16B if you want to swap something in and leave it at that.

I have beaten a few gsr's with my ctr swap, pretty easily. If you like the high revs and just being fun to drive then go with a ctr. But they are usually pretty expensive. Go with whatever you get a better deal on. If you find a ctr for the same price as a gsr buy the ctr. Thats what I did.

CTR in a hatch vs. b18c1 in a hatch.. CTR all the way, trust me...

CTR-All motor
b18c1-Boost

thats how it should be.
-paul

I think it depends on what kind of racing and mods you plan on doing. The CTR and GSR motors are very similar but each have there advantages. If you plan on doing alot of scca style racing I'de opt for the B16B for its nice smooth torque curve and high shift points and if it still has the CTR tranny w/LSD this motor should still turn good 1/4 times. If you plan on going boost and cocksmacking everything on the highway I'de lean twards the B18C due to its slightly lower compression and if you start breaking shit it going to be alot easyer to find parts for.

Originally posted by tnsxsear@Oct 17 2003, 12:38 PM

CTR-All motor
b18c1-Boost

thats how it should be.
-paul

I disagree with that one.

Originally posted by khrisb+Oct 17 2003, 04:19 PM-->
@Oct 17 2003, 12:38 PM

CTR-All motor
b18c1-Boost

thats how it should be.
-paul

CTR-better rod stroke, can rev safely to about 8500k, smooth and close gears for better acceleration. needs minor upgrades to be a good `13sec full interior allmotor car.. with some valvesprings,retainers,and big cams can rev to 10+K rpm, ideal for allmotor...while still maintaing a good rod stroke.

GSR-good 1.8 bottem end for more displacement, known to be the best motor to boost first to the b18b1 motor. little longer gearing than a CTR for more time to boost, revs to only 8000k but compensates with 1.8 bottem end torque

Originally posted by tnsxsear+Oct 17 2003, 04:56 PM-->
Originally posted by khrisb@Oct 17 2003, 04:19 PM
tnsxsear
@Oct 17 2003, 12:38 PM

CTR-All motor
b18c1-Boost

thats how it should be.
-paul

CTR-better rod stroke, can rev safely to about 8500k, smooth and close gears for better acceleration. needs minor upgrades to be a good `13sec full interior allmotor car.. with some valvesprings,retainers,and big cams can rev to 10+K rpm, ideal for allmotor...while still maintaing a good rod stroke.

GSR-good 1.8 bottem end for more displacement, known to be the best motor to boost first to the b18b1 motor. little longer gearing than a CTR for more time to boost, revs to only 8000k but compensates with 1.8 bottem end torque

You can spout facts all day long. His Shadiness was running low 13's Gsr all-motor. You don't have to stick a motor in a category. People run all-motor Ls. People boost H22's. It's all about your budget and what your goals are.

just resleeve the b16b with some jumbo pistons and then you got a nice cheap setup..ok, not cheap..lol

it depends on what kind of race if drag ctr has the advantage because of smaller gear ratios on the highway the gsr has the advantage

Originally posted by NoJokE+Oct 16 2003, 09:54 PM-->
SleEPeR_CRX
@Oct 16 2003, 09:38 PM
i bet $$ a b18c1 will beat a b16b in a race.

And unless motors drove themselves and had wheels, we wont EVER know who wins that race, the B18C1 could be in an Integra, and the B16B could be in a completely gutted EF hatch. Im sure you mean all things being equal, but they are not.

The dumbest swap i have ever seen was a B16B in an LS integra (97) - thats totally dumb, all the guy had to do was put the B16 head on his ls block, and he'd have a real rocket of a car.

Originally posted by truoss@Oct 16 2003, 10:18 PM
How do these engines compare? b18c and b16b. The later has more HP and the first more torque and they are both expensive as hell.

to get back to your orig. question....

price. yup. honda motors aren't cheap. and for that reason, I suggest the GSR. it's generally cheaper than the b16b, and while I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a better motor, I would say it's a better motor for you in a street car.

Back