B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Way too much for me. LOL.

I need only a long block, my trans was just rebuilt (Which I FREAKING LOVE BTW!)

I did find a 100% OEM 96 spec R motor for $2,000 local. Or I'm trying to convince @GSRCRXsi to sell me his motor. Really the deciding point will be whether I want to enter into Honda Challenge and the 96 R motor would make for a good H2 car. That or a stock B18C1 so I can drop 100lbs out of the car..

Video of engine death. Remember to choose HD!

Last edited:
I always said if you're going to blow up your motor, you might as well do it right. I think I did ok here.

My hypothesis.. Valve spring broke at about 9,000 rpm (Junk 2), caused valve to bend, this is where I lost power. Eventually bent valve broke off and bounced around in the cylinder, then puking itself into the intake manifold and sharing it cooties with the other cylinders..

IMG_2690.jpg
IMG_2691.jpg
IMG_2692.jpg
IMG_2693.jpg
IMG_2694.jpg
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2696.jpg

I don't see any cracks in the head, cracks/warping in the cams, nor do I see any valve stems poking out of the block. Try harder. :p

But that is a good first try. Are there any chunks of anything left in the intake manifold?

"A" - if it would have tossed a rod I would have awarded an "A+". The cracked cylinder wall, added to the other carnage makes it a solid "First Time" 95%.

Last edited:
Reactions: B16
I've made the same decision on the hatchback - time to cut it loose and move on....

Shell sold today. Only things left are a few valve covers, an oil pan and a rear camber kit. Maybe in 6 years you'll see a thread about building something else. :p

Back