1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b17 crank in a b20 block

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Face, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Face

Face Junior Member

It is possible to run a b17 crank in a B20 block. If so, what other mods are needed? I want to run a b16a head as well. I read a article once before that said this is possible and the benifit of doing so it that you de-strock the engine, therefore creating a higher reving engine.

Has anyone seen this article on the web, if so where?

2. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

I don't see why this would be beneficial unless you had a bare B20 block. A longer stroke will always be better if you are using forged parts, which i assume you would if your were doing a serious engine build up. Is it possible? Yes. Is it pointless? Yes. Why would anyone want to LOSE displacement?

3. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Unless you want to lose torque and displacement to rev higher and regain that lost torque and power at a higher rev level... this is pointless.

B17 crank: lose displacement, lose torque, lost torque = less power for same rev level, so you have to rev higher to get it back

B20 crank: higher displacement, more torque = more power for same rev level, less revs with same power = longer lasting engine

I revved my B20 block to 8500 all the time and didn't have any problems with it. The crank was stock, the B16 head was stock- the only aftermarket pieces in there were the rods, pistons, and ARP fasteners.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted