b17 crank in a b20 block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Face

It is possible to run a b17 crank in a B20 block. If so, what other mods are needed? I want to run a b16a head as well. I read a article once before that said this is possible and the benifit of doing so it that you de-strock the engine, therefore creating a higher reving engine.

Has anyone seen this article on the web, if so where?

I don't see why this would be beneficial unless you had a bare B20 block. A longer stroke will always be better if you are using forged parts, which i assume you would if your were doing a serious engine build up. Is it possible? Yes. Is it pointless? Yes. Why would anyone want to LOSE displacement?

Unless you want to lose torque and displacement to rev higher and regain that lost torque and power at a higher rev level... this is pointless.

B17 crank: lose displacement, lose torque, lost torque = less power for same rev level, so you have to rev higher to get it back

B20 crank: higher displacement, more torque = more power for same rev level, less revs with same power = longer lasting engine

I revved my B20 block to 8500 all the time and didn't have any problems with it. The crank was stock, the B16 head was stock- the only aftermarket pieces in there were the rods, pistons, and ARP fasteners.

Back