B17 swap VTEC not working.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SkyGuy

mankind can be stupid.
so i just swapped a B17 to my 1993 delsol. i swapped out the old PO6 ECU for my P30 ECU but the vtec isnt working. the vtec silinoid (not spelled right) isnt hooked into the engine wiring harness for some reason so i have it wired in right at the ECU. the wire colors i have it hooked up to is a orange/white one, orange/blue one, and a brown/black one (i think its a ground) im not exactly sure how the wiring on vtec works but im pretty sure one is a temp. sensor, ones a oil pressure sensor and the final one is a power that goes to the vtec silinoid? im just lost as to why the vtec doesnt work. i had the engine and ecu in my other delsol but it was a 94, that wouldnt make a diffrence would it? same OBD isnt it? Also i have it hooked up the same way as it was in the other car when the VTEC DID work. so is there any advice you guys/gals could give me to help me figure this out?

Check all of your connections again. Its possible a pin isnt quite making contact at the ecu or something. Did it throw any codes?? If so check and see what they are they might give you a clue as to what is going on. Good luck.:)

it is throwing a code but i thougt it was a knock sensor code. turns out its a code "3" (MAP sensor) so since vtec changes air fuel curves i guess it would make sense that the bad MAP sensor would cause it to not let vtec kick in.... i guess.....this sound right doesnt it?

The map sensor you are using should not affect anything. I would double check the wiring all the way back from the sensor to the ecu just to eliminate any possibility of that causing you any problems. If that doesnt solve your problem try and come up with another map sensor without investing much money to try and fix the problem. If this doesnt work, let me know what happens and I will try to help you in any way I can. Good luck.;)

I dont think it will make a difference, but I dont claim to know everything so try and find a map sensor for the same engine you are using.

when i first start the car the engine code isnt on and it idles normal, but after about 5 seconds it comes on and the idle shoots right up to between 1500 and 2000 RPM's. i do have a map sensor for a non vtec single over head cam motor but i dont think thats compatible is it? and if i do end up needing a new map sensor where is a good place to purchase it? should i go to honda or find a diffrent place that deals in honda?

It wouldnt hurt anything for you to try it. It should only take a couple minutes to swap it out. I say give it a shot and see what happens.

all map sensors are the same.....when i did an ls-vtec swap in a 93 hatch it didnt have a map sensor on it and vtec did not kick....we had to hard wire the map sensor from the ecu to the sensor since the car harness did not have a plug or the engine harnes ( you prolly have one tho) then once i got it hooked up i used a sohc non vtec map sensor and sure enough the code went away and the bitch screamed vtec......ur problem is that map....HOOK IT UP!:D

alright i will do that later today when i go back to the shop and let you guys know whats going on.

Back