b18 boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

soon2bboostin

hey guys i know that on a stock ls motor im good to about 300hp but what if i got new rods,pistons,bolts and whatnot how much would that increase what my motor could handle if any, or should i just get a gsr motor and boost that

-thanks-

well what are your goals? the B18a/b motors take very well to boost stock, and if your going to rebuild, you might as well do an ls/vtec and make more than the gsr and spend less. Your question was kinda broad, but your best bet would be to search the board and figure out what your actual goals are before you do anything.

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Feb 22 2005, 08:12 PM
well what are your goals? the B18a/b motors take very well to boost stock, and if your going to rebuild, you might as well do an ls/vtec and make more than the gsr and spend less. Your question was kinda broad, but your best bet would be to search the board and figure out what your actual goals are before you do anything.
[post=464818]Quoted post[/post]​

sorry let me clearify myself, i plan on getting a stage 2 kit from fullrace to my in an eg hatch and prolly shoot to make around 300-350ish hp, so my question is basically about block strength are the two motors blocks gonna hold up the same or is one strong then the oerther because im goin to build whatever motor i end up getting for boost anyways, but im kinda leaning towards the gsr, but the price difference its whats -kinda holding me back from deciding, i kinda just want some opinions -thanks again

In that case, in my opinion it would be cheaper to build either an LS or LS/vtec motor. If money isnt an issue deffinatly LS/Vtec. You figure pick up a decent shortblock B18a/b from a junkyard, hone it. Get some forged rods/pistons, get a fresh rebuild with new bearings etc. Slap on a B16/gsr head whatever you get cheaper and you easily have your goal with a good tune.

a stage 2 full-race setup is overkill for a stock ls block. way too much turbo for too little motor.
bigger turbos need more revs to spool- thus, making the ls a bad choice for larger turbos.
300 is about the reliable limit of stock sleeves.
even if you do internals, i would still recommend you sleeve the block, unless its a weekend car/you have other reliable transportation.

Back