b18 del sol what to buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsdelslow

i have a 93 del sol with a b18b1. i am planning on going turbo soon but i want to upgrade it before i do. i already have skunk2 intake manifold, cai and exhaust except header but dont want to waste the money on it when im gonna turbo it. what should i upgrade that will actually make a difference and that i wont have to get rid of after turbo? thank you

You could upgrade the internals. Other than that, you probably don't want to mess with it much until you turbo it. Upgrading the injectors, fuel pump, etc won't do you any good now.
I suppose you could upgrade the clutch, but honestly that isn't going to do you any good right now either. You already have the bare essentials that I'd recommend before boost. BTW, that skunk2 manifold isn't doing you any good with stock cams in that cylinder head. The b18b1 definitely does not move enough air (with stock cams) for it to make any difference.
Basically, if you aren't planning on upgrading the internals, then just save your money.

thanks for the advice. i already have forged pistons and rods but i will probably just get cams then cuz i will want them for the turbo anyway and they will make my intake manifold more effective. should i upgrade the throttle body? if so what size? again thank you for the advice

and i was looking at crower cams and they have some labeled turbo and some not. can i run the turbo cams before i install my turbo?

You could upgrade the throttle body. I'd go with a size that best matches the inlet on your intake manifold.

You COULD install the turbo cams before you put the turbo in, but you'll likely need to tune the car if you do so. In addition, you'll likely have to install new valve springs and retainers because turbo cams have higher lift than OEM camshafts. I'd wait on installing those, and just have your car tuned for the turbo and new camshafts all at once.

ok. whats a good company that makes good springs and retainers? at a good price. and i talking to my local tuner shop today and they said i dont have to get it tuned until after im turbo. they said it will just have a rough idle. that sound right? also does anyone have a rough estimate of what my power and torque will be? i have ls with b16 tranny, skunk2 intake manifold, 74 mm skunk2 throttle body, gt35r .50 i will probably run 10 psi, forged stock compression pistons, crowel turbo cams, rc 550 injectors and wahlbro 250 lph fuel pump. i know its very dependent on the tune i just want a rough estimate on a good tune

I don't see why you'd install turbo camshafts before you are turbocharged. I'd just leave em out till you get everything else.

I ran Brian Crower springs and retainers in my LS head and didn't have any issues with them. I have heard bad things about Skunk2 valvetrain, but have never experienced it first hand.

As far as power, I have almost the exact same setup in my hatch, and I made 448whp. It did take a significant amount of boost though (28psi). I have a Victor X intake mani, stock TB, and RC 1000 cc injectors. Brian Crower stage 2 turbo cams, and Brian Crower valvetrain.

wow thats awesome i was honestly hoping for like 250 to 300 but over 400 would be fuckin awesome lol. and i probably will wait to put in the cams them. also is hondata s300 a good engine managment system or is there a chip or anything that would work better and be cheaper to tune?

Yeah, I was surprised with my build as well. The tune makes all the difference though.

Hondata is known to be the best, but there are programs out there that will get the job done. My car was tuned on CROME and I never had any issues, its a free program. You'll have to find a tuner that works with it, which shouldn't be too difficult.

and what injectors should i get? some say low impedence and some dont. what is the difference?

You need the springs to go with that cam. I have an LS head for sale in the parts area with exactly those cams and valve springs and retainers for it also.

As far as injectors its really up to you... low impedance (peak and hold) injectors require a resistor box and are typically found on obd1 cars. High impedance (saturated) do not require the use of a resistor box and are typically found on obd2 cars.

I am currently running RC 1000cc's with an resistor box I found at a scrap yard. I found a matching plug and pinned the resistor box to the plug so I could remove it if I ever needed to.

my engine is obd1. so do i have to use low impedence? and does the car have a stock resister box or do i have to add one? also how do i know which springs go with that cam?

ill actually probably buy that head from you when i get the money if you still have it

my engine is obd1. so do i have to use low impedence? and does the car have a stock resister box or do i have to add one? also how do i know which springs go with that cam?
Your car already has a resistor box, so you can just get some peak and hold injectors and be good. On the springs youll have to look on the BC website, theres a recommended part number for that specific cam, and thats the one I got.
ill actually probably buy that head from you when i get the money if you still have it
Ok, just let me know

For upgrades while you wait to boost I would do cam 403 cams springs and retainers and cam gears. The turbo cams will be no good for NA while waiting to go turbo and the 403s will do good with a turbo setup. A 68mm TB to match the intake and cams. Dont get a header or find a cheap Ebay one to get you by so you dont waste money. Then get a quick tune to get the most out of it. Then save up for a turbo setup. I would get some 1000cc injectors just so you dont need to upgrade in the future for more boost.

ya im not getting a header or installing my cams or anything on this engine. i bought a new one that im getting sleeved and gonna put everything into that engine. then when i get my turbo i will just drop my engine in

so do you guys think its a bad idea to run a 75 shot on stock internals with no other mods besides intake and exhuas? the shop around here said my car can easily handle that as long as i dont use it all the time. also when i am done with my engine (going full forged internals, sleeved, doing crazy build) i plan on boosting about 25 psi. do you think its a bad idea to run nitrous with that? any help would be great

Back