B18 gsr swap or b16si head swap??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Abra

Ok so I love my car... I love it enough to dump thousands of bucks into it. But I have a dilemma. Would I be better off getting a GSR engine or just throwing a vtec civic si head on my 96 Integra LS. I have a friend (who seems pretty knowladgable about this) who says that I should just switch my head to the vtech that way I keep the torque of the LS but up the high end horsies of the vtech. If that's true then cool but I'd like some more input about it. Oh yeah, and if I do just the head swap what ECU would work best for me?

Before you get flogged for being a noob, I'd thought I'd be nice and tell you before lots of people start making fun of you...it's VTEC, not VTECH

...and oh yeah, Both options are feasible. Lots of people here and everywhere else will tell you gsr, and then there will be a ton of people supporting the lsvtec configuration. I have found that the gsr is probably the best candidate for stock out-of-the-box performance aside from the overpriced type-r powerplant, mostly because the combustion chamber and port designs are a little better designed for a useable powerband for daily driveability, not to mention the secondary butterflies. However, an lsvtec will get you just as good if not better performance than a gsr if you build it right. A few things like rods in the ls motor are sources for problems with performance in the stock ls bottom end, and the oil pumping system is garbage. Also, with a pr3 head, you are going to have a less useable powerband on the daily driver side, but if you pair the ls with a closer ratio tranny, you will be happy with what you have, just noting that your powerband will be a little narrower.

Back