B18 LS Re-Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigchrisr

I am thinking about rebuilding by B18 engine so that it can handle some boost. The engine is stock and has 274,000 miles on it and still pushin strong. Is the block and crankshaft still worth using even though they have been through so much? Should I build on the block or look for another one with not as many miles?

sure. its the piston rings and bearings that get toast most the time.

replace those, and you should be good to go. just inspect the crank for excessive wear. ls cranks are cheap

I was told that I should hone the cylinders before replacing the new pistons and rods. Is it ok to do it myself with a drill and a honing bit or should I pay a shop to do it? Is there a differernce in the quality? Also should I change the cams and valves for the turbo re-build? I'm new at this stuff and still learning. If u guys have any tips about this rebuild let me know. This car is gonna be a daily driver with a planned 8-10 psi of boost.

If I am going to only be using 8-10 psi should I increase the compression ratio or should I keep at the stock 9.2:1. Is that even possible? Are there racing pistons that will fit the cylinders. I am just trying to avoid boring out the block and making the cylinder wider.

You should definitely hone the block before changing your rings- after almost 300k miles, you're not going to have any honing marks left on the sleeve to help wear in and lubricate your new rings.

Have a shop do it- going in with a hand drill and a honing bit won't really be that great for trying to maintain a specific honing angle.

8-10 psi on a good size turbo will be perfectly fine on the stock compression and stock pistons. Just get it all tuned properly and you'll be fine. If you want to go with aftermarket forged rods and pistons, you can get those pretty easily too. Just make sure you know exactly what size pistons you need- your block may require a slight bore to clean it up.

Back