b18 or b21?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok guys whats a better motor as far as durability and power should i swap my b18a1 with the prelude b21 and will it bolt to my ys1 tranny?

the b21 and b18 have nothing in common.. didnt we tell you that in your other thread?? what makes you think this will work?

in my opinion thats the worst honda motor ever made, and it would have to be 100% custom job to get the b21 in there. just stick with the b18

i wouldnt say WORST honda motor...i mean...there were those accord v6 motors that had problems constantly overheating......and...ummm....then the b21 and b20a....okay so its pretty bad.

all i remember is my friend that used to live down the street from my mom had a 90 Si and it was in the shop constantly for oil leaks.. those cars suck!

ok ok you dont have to get pissy about it you said they were not completely alike thats why i asked about the trans i didnt know if the bell housings were the same sorry for asking a question.

b21= not a real B series, thats like the D16 twin cam, its just not the same, if you want more power, switch to a B20, but it also depends on what your doing to the vehicle,a B20 frank is a nice setup for a teg

Last edited:
yeah thats a b20 frank, its setup same way really as an LS/VTEC, but i forget which one does which since theres two different b20's ones good for a turbo, ones good for all motor, both are very potent motors, but a b21 is useless, my friend has a prelude that they came out of but it sucks hardcore, on top of that they pretty much bolt right in to an integra

Last edited:
B21 Frankenstien

I would imagine that the B21 has low compression pistons wich would help make it gutless for it's size in stock form.

With a head swap and a turbo it SHOULD make a good frankenstien, more displacement should mean it would spool slighly faster than a smaller moter and have a little more tourqe to help compensate for Turbo Lag...

No replacement for displacement...

i was under the impression that the B20 bottom end will fit on a VTEC with no more issues then any other LS/vtec set up

i was under the impression that the B20 bottom end will fit on a VTEC with no more issues then any other LS/vtec set up

The B20 from the CR-V will work with VTEC heads. The B20 and B21 from the 88-91 Preludes are completely different and cannot be used in hybrid engine setups...

Back