b18 swap bogging, help needed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driveordie

just finished installing a b18b into a crx curentlly it's equiped with OBD0 distributor (TD-23u), OBD0 Pr4 ecu and, 90-91 oem 240cc injectors. when i installed the engine it ran fine. I then installed a holly 68mm Throttle body modified for an OBD0 wire harness and blocked off extra ports used for 94-up integras. used nipple to hook up map sensor. and installed a b&m fuel pressure regulator and set it to 42psi. As long as your driving easy (shifting below 4000rpm) everything runs fine, but if you begin to go full throttle after shifting into 3rd it will bogg like its going to cut off...even after you let off the gas. but when you restart the car it runs ok again. I get no error codes, and it seems to be running very rich. any ideas?

Check the crank position sensor in the distributor. I had a code in the ecu for it. I had the same problem and a good used dist fixed the bog.

this seems to be a pretty common problem, unfortunately, the cause is not as easy to say. my car did that to me forever, and i replaced the fpr, distributor, coil, plugs, wires, fuel pump, and main relay...it made the problem less noticable, but it still didnt feel like an h22 should.

i finally broke down and replaced the ecu and look at that, the problem went away.

this seems to be a pretty common problem, unfortunately, the cause is not as easy to say. my car did that to me forever, and i replaced the fpr, distributor, coil, plugs, wires, fuel pump, and main relay...it made the problem less noticable, but it still didnt feel like an h22 should.

i finally broke down and replaced the ecu and look at that, the problem went away.

Oh wow...that sux. I can see that dealing with all these used parts can have some consequences along the road, especially with electronics.

when you use the words "bogging" and "running rich" that seems to me you should lean it out in increments of 2psi from the regulator. if a motor is running rich and there is alot of fuel, the boggin may be caused by flooding, even after you let off the throttle, the gas is still wet to the plugs. i would tune the whole motor up with cap rotor wires and plugs and make sure the plug gap is correct, if you havent already.....and check your timing to make sure that it is in line with the amount of air/fuel mixture! good luck

Back