B18 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RawEdge

B18 swap - help!!

Here's the sitch:

I have a Y2K teg with extensive body damage and solid drivetrain, automatic, no mods

I see an ad for a '90 teg with 326,000 km's (~200,000 miles) for sale, w/ 5spd manual, 4-2-1 header, Magnaflow exhaust

What I need to know is:
1) Will the 4-2-1 header from '90 B18 fit on my Y2K B18, or should I use the stock manifold from Y2K and will that hook up to Magnaflow?
2) Which OBD/ECU should I use? or does that depend on manifold/header?
3) I want to use the 5spd, but I want to do a flywheel/clutch mod, but they seem to only come as a set for 90-93 or 94-01, Can I use a 90-93 flywheel on Y2K B18? or use the 94-01 clutch on the '90 5spd? or do I have to buy both sets and have leftover parts? or is this even viable? ie: get 94-01 5spd?

***NOTE***
I live in a Redneck province in Canada and DO NOT need to pass any emissions to register my car so no need to worry about advice on that for answering my Q's

PS On a scale of 1-10, 10 being easiest, how hard is this swap overall? (my brother is an airplane mechanic and can fix anything!!)

Last edited:
Here's the sitch:

I have a Y2K teg with extensive body damage and solid drivetrain, automatic, no mods

I see an ad for a '90 teg with 326,000 km's (~200,000 miles) for sale, w/ 5spd manual, 4-2-1 header, Magnaflow exhaust

What I need to know is:
1) Will the 4-2-1 header from '90 B18 fit on my Y2K B18, or should I use the stock manifold from Y2K and will that hook up to Magnaflow?
2) Which OBD/ECU should I use? or does that depend on manifold/header?
3) I want to use the 5spd, but I want to do a flywheel/clutch mod, but they seem to only come as a set for 90-93 or 94-01, Can I use a 90-93 flywheel on Y2K B18? or use the 94-01 clutch on the '90 5spd? or do I have to buy both sets and have leftover parts? or is this even viable? ie: get 94-01 5spd?

***NOTE***
I live in a Redneck province in Canada and DO NOT need to pass any emissions to register my car so no need to worry about advice on that for answering my Q's

PS On a scale of 1-10, 10 being easiest, how hard is this swap overall? (my brother is an airplane mechanic and can fix anything!!)

1. I don't think both the 4-2-1 will work right. I know the '99 up teggys had a different exhuast system compared to the "98 down. Learned this the hard way when I recieved my DC Sport header. I had a 94 gsr and the header was for the '00 GSR. It bolted up perfect but had no room for a cat.

2. If you do get header, the stock ecm is good.

3. You would want to get a '94 up trans for they are hydro tranys and the 90-93 are cable. I believe the clutchs and flywheel are the same from 90-01. could be wrong

Back