b18 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ticklemedaly

This is my first post so please be patient with me. I'm looking to swap a 90 integra b18 into my 94 civic ex coupe. Wondering how hard it is and if it is possible, which i believe it is. Another thing, if it is possible to change the head from the a to the GSR c1 or Type-R c5 head since i believe they are the exact same block. And if there is anything else i need to do the swap and any how toos will be great. The reason I want to do it is because my roomate picked up the car for $250, and I'm buying any of the swap parts for only $100, including engine, tranny, ecu, wiring and anything else. thanks for any info.

As it stands the B18A1 is the wrong OBD for your car, making it an illegal swap in some places, and it has a cable tranny, so you would need to swap out for a hydaulic. But all in all, IMO it wouldn't really be worth your time, since your going to wind up spending what you would on the correct engine. Also the difference in Hp between the D16Z6 (EX/Si) and the B18A1 isn't worth the troubles.

Ok, I have done some checking and found out that the BLOCK is identical to any other B18 out there. I am looking to swap onto it a C1 head of a GSR and a B16B or GSR tranny with a limited slip. It also looks like I just need the wiring harness for a GSR and the tranny cables. Looking to use an AEM Ecu managment system instead of a regular ecu. The internals of the blocks are different, but I'll be placing a stroker kit for a GSR into it, lowering the compression to between 8.5 to 9.0. If there is anything else that I would possibly need, please respond. Thanks for any and all input. Also, both engines are OBD 1. Mine is just before the 2.

Well I dont think all the work would be very cost worty, especially the OBD0 to an OBD1 setup, like the other guy said "It maybe illegal" and yopu should sell me the block for a couple hundred and I can drop it in my car!!! Thanks!!

Why would you lower the compression to 8.5 or 9? Are you going to boost it?

Originally posted by TurboCivic Posted: Sep 24 2003@ 08:36 AM
especially the OBD0 to an OBD1 setup,

He said they are both OBD I.

As it stands, i am looking to turbo it mainly because of the power potential and the sound i love. but after thinking about it, the vtec and turbo wouldnt work best to gether, so im looking to keep the setup in the car, just swap everything and rebuild the engine to withstand high turbo boost, rebuild the original tranny and place a phantom grip lsd into it. although i do like the vtec, converting it would be extremely costly, which i could use that money to rebuild the engine and buy the turbo. Now the only hard part is finding a turbo kit for the B18A1 while being able to keep the power steering and the AC. I read that using a GSR power steering pump and bracket, and a Del Sol AC bracket, that it relocates them both to make room to keep them, but I'm not sure about if it would be able to run a turbo with it. If anything, I can just go all motor and build up the motor as much as possible, increase the CR to 10.5 to 11, and run nitrous just for added boost. That way, i can keep everything, especially the AEM CAI and the exhaust system, and be much more of a sleeper. I am very undecided on what to do, but if anyone has input on what would be the best way to go, please respond. Thanks for any info.

Back