B18 with P8R B20 head?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

firehouse

so has anyone built a b18 with a b20 head. I am looking at buying a motor from JG engine dynamics. the will be built for turbo. does anyone know anything about b18 with b20 head(P8R head)?

start your own thread...

and check the dates when you search, this thread is OLD.

but to answer your question, i dont see why you would use a b20 head, you would not gain anything over the LS head... they are almost identical anyways.

Split off to a new thread for you with an appropriate title. Good first post for a newbie question too.

I've never seen one in person, but the P8R head is supposed to have a larger bore in the combustion chamber to suit the B20 block's 84mm bore, plus have larger valves compared to the B18 head (33mm vs 31mm I think). The valves take up more space in the combustion chamber, so some believe that it leads to higher compression with the same pistons.

If you're going to use an 81mm bore B18 block, I would NOT use the P8R head if it has the larger diameter combustion chambers. If your combustion chamber is wider than the cylinder bore, weird things will happen when the spark plug lights up your air/fuel mixture.

I could be totally wrong with all this info, but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

More info, and search some yourself:

B20 non-vtec FAQ Guide including P8R head information - Honda-Tech

Back