B18A burning oil like CRAZZYYY!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JaeZit

Oil keeps going into combustion chamber. Burning like CRAZZYY!! I recently rebuilt my b18a engine with pr3 pistons (kept it STD). New pistons and rings. Block was honed and resurfaced. Head was sand blasted and clean (like brand new), pressure & leak down tested and good. New valves, valve angle seating, springs, seals, and resurfaced. Still burning oil. Valve guides are old ones so I thought it was the problem...but the shop checked it and they are good. Compression test- 182 across the board and holding. I'm TOTALLY frustrated cause I can't figure out what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Compression should be above 180 I had 240psi wiith a usdm itr piston. Try doing a wet comp test see if it goes up

yea...i'm getting good comp it just that oil keeps going into the chamber and burning out. If oil was coming thru the rings..would i still have good comp?? The car idles fine and drives good. Just ALOT of smoke. MORE smoke when i rev. I'll look into that wet comp test. Thx!

hey Magana...I just read about the wet comp test and to think of it...i think that's what i did. I didn't do the dry comp test because there was already oil in all 4 combustion chamber so that's probably why i got 182 across. If I just dry/soak it with paper towel will dry test still be good? Or the dry test won't work anymore since there was already there?

x2, your compression is too low. my b16 11.1-1 comp is 220-230psi dry. your b18 has a longer stroke matched with the p30's 11.something cr. should yeild more than a b16.

220-230 huh? Dang...that means I messed up on putting the rings in. I follow the Haynes manual on how to install the rings. Since I'm putting in pr3 pistons and rings...is there a certain way I shoulda put them in? Is there different installation directions than pr4 piston and rings?

Never use haynes or chilton or what ever it's called. Download or buy the helm manual. It's always better than those autozone manuals!

But for as long as your pistons and rings match your bore it should go together like any other engine. Make sure your rings are in the right groves, the gaps are in the right spot, lube everything, compress it line it up in the cylinder slide it in torque it down.

@ dirt- thanks for the info. i'll have to check them again. since i'm gonna be at it....i'm gonna measure the bore to double check for warpage.

cool, yeah if everything is in spec you shouldn't have any consumption. Well, virtually any. Good luck man.

Back