B18a, or B18b

what's your pick???

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iron 1

I will be rebuilding it and having Sleeves installed. it will be turbo'd with an SC61 pushing some big #'s. Does the B18b head flow better or is there really a difference???

HA im the first voter :p .... The b18B head does have a little better flow and i myself would do a b18b engine except i happen to have a b18a on my hands B)

honestly it all depends what you are putting it into, as IMO the LS head flows poorly and need machine work so, it really does not matter what you get so much. It matters more what you are putting it into. Get a B18a if you are putting the motor in a car that is OBD0 or needs a cable transmission. Get a B18B if you are putting it in a OBD1 car or newer.

Well I'm putting it into an obd0 car. But I will do the Obd0-->Obd1 conversion. I will also be using a cable transmission.

it doesn't matter what head as long as u port and polish the head
because it have poor airflow.

i sad stick with the b18b head

they both flow like shit. have it ported.

and for the sake of swap- go with the b18a. 0-1 conversions s0x0rs

B18B. The cams are better and the intake manifold is better. Depending on which B18a you use, theres a 10 horsepower difference. The 90-91 is 10hp less than the 92-93 and theres like a 4 (i think) horsepower difference between the 92-93 B18a and the B18b. Just change the sensors and distributor, but i'd for sure use the B18B intake manifold.

I'd say get an obd1 b18a or b18b, I't not worth the 0>1 conversion. You defenitly should get the head ported.

The cams are better

If he's serious he'll probably get new cams anyway.
intake manifold is better

I didn't know there was a difference between the a's and b's.

id say get wutever u can find cheapest...cuz u will need that extra little $ for boost and engine work

I would go with the B18B I heard it is better for boosting and I also heard the tranny is longer (better gearing) for boost, is this right pissedoffsol?

Originally posted by integraslut78@Mar 11 2004, 03:34 AM
I also heard the tranny is longer (better gearing) for boost, is this right pissedoffsol?

no, its not.

longer gears = slower aceleration, anyway you look at it.

i have ls tranny on my b16. it sucks. ill trade ya if you buy me like a cable sir tranny lol. i said b18b is better, because they are newer, and usually have less miles.

Back