b18a problems need some help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chrism1829

Getcha Mind Right
Ok..not to long ago i bought a 91 hatchback.So instead of swaping the motor whitch would cost me more then i can get a new car for.I decided to get another hatch semi done.Its got a molded on mugen kit exhuast,projector heads,rims, shaved handles yada yada..it also has a ls swap.It runs ok but it sounds kind of high pitched when u first start it.And i thought maybe when it warms up it would stop.But it doesent.could it be a vacum line?.or something to that nature it runs good pulls and everything.It has a stage 2 or three clutch i believe.But also if u hit the breaks alot of times it revs up also. but once u get it on the open road it runs fine. just at idle it runs weird any help would be great.Alos when u start it up the whole car shakes and shimes. could this be the mounts??..there hasport...

the shimmying is probably a timing thing, but is the whining thing sound really bad, like something mechanical is broken or something? I can't quite understand what you mean.

its kinda a whining but it isnt.Just sounds alittle loud to be normal.But i dont get when u press the brakes a few times it revs louder.Like I said it runs fine on the road.But once u stop it revs alittle louder the normal.

when you pump the brakes repeatedly that will depleate the vacuum booster reserve... hence, acting like a vacum leak till it fills again.

the whining might be your alt

a real vacuum leak sounds like a hiss

yeah it isnt hissing..Just sounds like a slight rev until it kinda warms up..but the whole car vibrates when u excel

the winding to me is 50% the alternator.. check all ur belts.. then check the timing.. also see if ur timing belt is rubbing on something/if u let the gas go and it rumbles more than likely its ur rear mount.

i still cant figure this out wen i pump the brakes the engine revs harder when i first start it.It runs alittle loud there has to be a leak somewhere right??..on the intake mani there looks to be spots for little tinny hoses but there is nothing there also whoever had the car before took the line that guys to the intake off will that do this??..im not sure where to start so some help would be great

Originally posted by whiteLS@Mar 12 2004, 06:29 PM
when you pump the brakes repeatedly that will depleate the vacuum booster reserve... hence, acting like a vacum leak till it fills again.

the whining might be your alt

a real vacuum leak sounds like a hiss

Just in case you missed it the 1st time.

Btw, my car does the same thing its normal.

your right about the pumping then it builds up again..But what about if the brakes work GREAT then all of a sudden u go to stop and there is little to no pedal???

you mught need a new brake booster. my bros 90 HB did the same thing. you really had to pump the brakes. the peddal would get hard for a little bit then soft again. we replaced the brake booster with one from the junk yard for less than $20 we both had no clue what we were doin and we got the job done in half a day. the only bitch part was getting to the nuts WAY up under the dash. you need a deep socket and a swivel (sp) most shops we called charge $150-$200

as for the vibrations ... i dont really know it could be from the mounts my car vibrates pretty bad, but i dont have HASPORT mounts

Back