b18a swap in 89 civic si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zc_hatch

when the previous owner of my car swapped in the b18a, they didnt make room for the alternator....So i was wonderig if i could just use my cut off tool at work and cut out a circle a little bit bigger than the pully? Anyone ever done it. I dont want to pull out my engine and tranny just to hit it with a sledge hammer. I figured after i cut the hole in the fender well. I could just make a little cover that bulges out and weld it in. Anyone see any problems with my idea?

i do, your cutting into basiccly what would be considered a frame rail in a unibody car, which plays a major role in the structural integrity of your vehicle. While if you were to hit it witha sledge you are bending and denting it but the structure of it as a whole is still there. Even if you are gonna weld something back in i would not suggest doing so unless you are a very skilled welder and plann on welding a patch in that is very very strong.

edit...i just noticed u said it was in the fenderwell if it does not include cutting any part of the rail that runs down the side of the engine i would say go for it if you know what you are doing

i am a skilled wleder and fabricator. I work in an autobody/custom shop, i do anything from typical paint to roll metal, to shop tops, french cars, etc...

Back