b18a swap into 90hb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eth0r

my friends hookin me up with his old 90 si hb shell this week he left me linkages and mounts from his b16a1... is there any write ups for droppin a b18a in or is it a striaght forward swap since no vtec wires have to be done ... let me know. thanks

Originally posted by brian11to1@Mar 1 2005, 01:30 PM
Pretty much a straight forward swap. But dude.. check the reference sections.
[post=467642]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks ill check it out.. also im thinking of grabing a 95 ls head from my friend for 40 bucks.. is it worth it to put it on the b18a block? i heard those heads have better cams and intake manifold... should i put it on before i swap the motor if no extra wiring is needed

it depends on what year B18A you have, if its a 90-91 you stand to gain ~10 FLYWHEEL hp , with a 92-93 there is only a 2hp gain

either way IMO its not worth it

10hp at the flywheel isnt gonna translate to very much at the wheels
you figure, new head, ex, int, valve cover gaskets, head bolts/studs, coolant, and all the other little things that you WILL break plus your time and effort doesnt seem worth it IMO.
All that work gets you very little gain. I'm sure you could advance your ignition timing and pick up the same amount of power for free.

Not to mention head bolts or studs.

Its not worth it to get that head IMO. The cams arent much better than 90-91's. 92-95 had the same cams anyway. the IM is better but again not much.

thnkas for the info guys.. ive cam across a ported out b16 manifold for cheap, would this work as good if not better than a ls ported?

nope, it wont bolt up, only B-series ex mani's interchange

since the engine isnt in your car yet worry about that first, then worry about more power later. you will be quite happy with the LS in your hatch in its original form. even though i am taking my LS out of my hatch it is still a great engine and i smile everytime i start the car

the B16 manifodl will work but not without a lot of mods. So just go to ebay and search for a skunk2 IM or something of the sorts. make sure its for an LS.

skunk2 it is then.. another quick question which axles should i be looking to use? 90-93 teg ones?

correct, dont worry about the ABS rings, my driver axle has one and its fine

tommarow im thinking of grabing a chilton manual i have one for a 90 hatch, would i need one for the 90 teg or is the civic one fine ( for my swap )

i had 90 civic before (rip) wit a 95 ls non vtec wit a gsr head it was a monster. b18a is a direct bolt up i don't think you really need a 90 teg manual there both obd0 so everything should be the same . good wit ur build man .

if it true i can use any year drive shaft for my swap? someond said i dont have to use 90-93 shafts..?

Back