B18A1 3rd gear grinding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

excivic92SI

so i went hard on 2nd gear. the subsequent shift into 3rd grinded like crazy. there was also another sound as if something like a bolt or screw flew out and hit something under the hood. what could that have been? this is a B18A1 in a 92 civic si

Well depends could be a few things your gonna kinda have to go over the car and inspect for missing parts an as for grinding could be a bad clutch throw out bearing (those commonly make noise when bad) or your syncro's is shot

i had a problem like dis in my 94 eg coupe and it was ma release bearing was bad as well as clutch jus gotta do a check to see wuht tha noise u heard was g/l

if the grinding problem persists, try changing your transmission fluid to GM synchromesh Friction Modified. youd be surprised at what itll do. give it 500 miles to really start working.

yeah, try the synchromesh, but dont get some knock off brand.. the gm stuff is kind of pricey, but if it works you will be glad you got it.

but, if it doesnt work, then you'll be one of the majority that have a 3rd gear grind.
and its not cheap to fix. just remember that if you have to do an actual replacement (it may be cheaper to just get a used trans) of the syncros that you replace the actual 3rd gear assembly too. i did it once in a teg i had, replaced every thing around the gear but not the gear itself and it was grinding again a week later. found out after that i should have replaced the gear too. sucks.

the honda 3rd gear curse... haha the 3rd in my b18b1 went out too... about to have to drop it and change everything! gotta wait till i can get a new clutch so i can just take care of that while the tranny is out...

Back