B18A1 Block Aquired, where do i go....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

grogers

Heres the deal, i just got a b18a1 block, from a friend that had b16 pistons in it and port polished head and tuned. he got hydro lock and had to get new pistons what not. he said that the block may be functional, just needs honing, and new pistons and all the things he stripped off of it. what do you guys suggest i go with this.

My plans are for turbo, ls/vtec. but first ls turbo and then eventually vtec, i figure this isnt a bad idea to start with this block because its pretty much a complete rebuild. any ideas are well apreciated.

btw the block is just block, crank, and it looks like that long pipe that has a coolant temp sensor on it, im not familiar with b18 motors. so call me a nub if you have to :D, ill have pics up some time later tonight/tommorow mornin

Baby steps grasshoppa.

Hydrolocking is no joke. Its very likely that the block and/or head is cracked. You'll need to get the crank checked as well.

Baby steps grasshoppa.

Hydrolocking is no joke. Its very likely that the block and/or head is cracked. You'll need to get the crank checked as well.
k what after that, old and wise master of the B... hehe

Well, if everything checks out ok, have it hot tanked and have the head rebuilt while its at the machine shop. (Assuming its a long block?) Then get the head and block machined flat. "decked". Then, take the whole mess home and clean everything meticulously. chase the threads, clean clean clean. Set it up on an engine stand ($75ish at a local parts store) And start your build. Make a list of everything that is missing and start the parts hunt.

thanks, im a nub... is there some way of finding a list of what should be there, and also how much should the head rebuild cost?

Back