B18A1 head build up questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TRICK_Z28

first off i would like to say wow there is a ton of good info hear. i am new hear and jsut started tuening hondas about a year ago. ws a big v8 head. still am but man these lil things are fun. i am in the prosses of building an all motor ls b18, and yea NO VTEC. to hard to get the head hear for under 1500. i have axcess to a mecheen shop and all the tools needed to port and polish my head out. but i am allso looking to do this fairly cheep. for the botom end i have jdm b16a2 pistons not much other than that for the bottom end yet. not sure if i need to or not. i am looking at getting a set of crower 403 cams but want to know if i can use gsr valve springs and retainers insted of getting after market springs and retainers. looking at what might be a good intake for this set up as well. any ideas would be awesome

i know that they are a big part in making HP but i wasnt sure if the vtec gsr springs would be along the lines for what i would need or if i would have to brake down and get the springs along with the cams. another thing. nowhere can i finde about puting an obd1 engine in an obd2 car. i have done an obd0-obd1 swap and built my owne jumpper harness for the ecu and re wired the engine, but there is no info that i can finde for the obd2-1 what do i need to change or what can i use

You can not use the vtec valve train parts in a nonvtec head.

a couple of reasons why
- vtec valve stems are smaller in diameter, than nonvtec.
- since the valve stem is a larger diameter on the stock nonvtec valve you will not be able to use vtec retainers/keepers on the valves.
- vtec intake valve is 33mm where as nonvtec intake valve is 31mm.
- the retainers and seats on the vtec model are designed differently and are taller then the ls'
-the nonvtec retainers are not cut for dual valve springs, there is only room/groove for the one spring...

If this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry.

All in all you can not use the VTEC cams, springs, retainers, keepers or valves in the nonvtec head.

I used to have pictures of all this, but I've since lost them. I documented the differences in the nonvtec v. the vtec parts and such, but they're gone.

I say get aftermarket, you;re going to wish you did when you float some valves or some shit.

One company SUPERTECH

These and some ARP, head studs, rod bolts and main studs and youre safe to see atleast 8500, I dunno if I'd go higher than that.

awesome, there was the answer i was looking for, i knew that i could not use the cams but wasnt sure about the springs. thanks alot. :D

Back