b18a1 into 91 civic 4 dr.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lickety_slickjj

ok, i have a b18 a1, i am putting it into my 91 civic 4 dr., my old motor was a zc dpfi 1.6. i got a new ecu from a 90 integra,same year as the motor and also rs. i bought a harness for a 90 integra 1.8. i also bought new motor mounts from innovative mounts.i am confused about my harness hooking up to my old wiring from my ecu,do i have to get all integra wiring from ecu all the way out to the engine? also, i got both side mounts on for the mounts, but not sure about the third one,do i put it in the front of motor or the back,if the back, where? on the zc,there is a bracket that comes off the tranny for the rear mount that is on the car.on the b18a1 there is no bracket,or no place to put the bracket? what do i do?? and if needed, can i use the tranny from the sohc zc for the b18a1?

someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

dont use the harness from teh integra. you dont need to. use the stock harness from teh car, modify it to work with the ls.

as far as mounts. you have 2 side mounts nad a rear moutn. if you dont have the l bracket, get one.

no, you can not use hte tranny from the sohc.

and since you were lazy. i searched for you. RESULTS

it isn't the ls motor. and i don't have the back mount bracket, where can i get one? and i have no idea how to convert my harness to work with the b18a1? i have pics, but not sure how to put them on this forum? confused about the url's for the pics. this swap is making me crazy!! i thought i had everything ready from the research i did but obviously not!!!!!!!!! i appreciate any help, and if any one is interested in the zc motor, let me know,i am trying to get rid of it.
thanks-much, john johnson

w/dpfi you add the additional 2 injectors by wiring them in. you will need the injector resisitor box as well.

where to get hte mount bracket, ebay, junkyards, search on here, search inlinefour.com...

how do you wire the injectors in? and no junkyards around here have integras, they are all gone! but i may have found a bracket. also, the brackets for the bottom of tranny,i don't have them, so is it ok to run without them till i do get them?

click my ebay link.

go here for help with wiring - http://ef-honda.com/ben click tech

http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/EFwiring.php

Originally posted by Ben Ogle ef-honda.com/ben
EF Wiring By Ben Ogle

When you do a motor swap into your EF you are most likely going to have to do some wiring. If you have a DPFI model (dual point fuel injection) you will most definately have to do a DPFI => MPFI conversion, and if you are putting a VTEC motor in there you will have to wire for VTEC. It is a lot easier than it looks or sounds. Throughout all this i am assuming you are staying OBD0.

When wiring please use solder and heat shrink tubing. It makes your wiring last longer and look MUCH cleaner. If you cant solder I think you should put off this wiring job until you can (or get one of your soldering friends to do it).

MPFI: what to do.

You are going to use your stock engine harness as the base of your "hybrid" harness. Not the engine harness that came on the motor, an Si or Hf harness (unless your car is an Si or Hf), or a B18a harness (not even with a B18a). This is a common misconception. People always want to use a stock MPFI harness. The problem is that it doesnt work unless you want to repin the connectors that connect it to the car harness. IMO that would be a lot of work.

The engine harness you got with your motor is going to be used for parts. You need the injector plugs (I cut the wires as far back in the donor harness as I can so I dont have to do any lengthening), the injector resistor plug (dont even cut it off the injector plugs, just trace it back), and the distributor plug. In addition to the plugs off the donor harness you need an injector resistor box. This box can come out of any OBD0 civic or integra.

Now that you have all the stuff lets get to wiring. I like to do all the engine harness stuff first so thats how I'm gonna write it. Keep in mind that this is MUCH easier to do with the motor out of the car.

Engine:
Connect the yellow wire on the DPFI harness to the brown wire on the injector plug for the #1 cylinder.

Connect the red wire on the DPFI harness to the blue wire on the injector plug for the #3 cylinder.

Run the red wire on one of the injector plugs to ECU pin A3 for the #2 injector. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Run the yellow wire on one of the injector plugs to ECU pin A7 for the #4 injector. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Connect the 2 yellow/black wires on the DPFI harness (from the old injectors) the yellow/black wire on the injector resistor plug.

If you cut the injector plugs off the injector resistor plug then you have to reconnect the red/black wires on the resistor plug to the injector plugs.

De-pin the Distributor plug from the MPFI harness (except the blue green and blue/yellow wires. Cut those as you will use them later) and WRITE DOWN which color wires went where. Then de-pin the DPFI distributor plug and put the MPFi plug on your DPFI harness. Make sure the colors are the match up to what you wrote down. There are 2 white colored wires and they can easily be mixed up. So make sure the white wire that is a "loner" (not in a group of 4) is a "loner" when you re-pin the MPFI plug (I need some pics, heh).

Run the blue/green wire on the dist plug to ECU pin C1 for the cylinder position sensor. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Run the blue/yellow wire on the dist plug to ECU pin C2 for the cylinder position sensor. I usually like to run this wire into the pass side engine-to-car plug (big white one) then do the other side when I do the interior wiring.

Lengthen the TPS and IACV wires. Also, you need to swap the green/white and yellow/white wires on the TPS plug as the MPFI throttle bodies rotate in the opposite direction of the DPFi ones.

There will be 3 plugs of the exact same type which are easily mixed up. These plugs are for the IACV (blk/yel and blu/yel), the IAT (little white sensor on the IM; orange/yel and grn/white), and for some DPFI sensor (blk/yel and orange). The plug with the blk/yel and orange wires is NOT used. You can cut it off or let hang or whatever.

ECU plugs:
Connect the orange wire on C1 to pin B10. You can either de-pin C1 and swap it over or cut C1 and solder it onto a wire you put in B10.

Connect the white wire on C2 to pin B12. You can either de-pin C2 and swap it over or cut C2 and solder it onto a wire you put in B12.

Run a wire from C1 to the blue/green wire on the dist. If you ran the blue/green wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

Run a wire from C2 to the blue/yellow wire on the dist. If you ran the blue/yellow wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

Cut the wire at A3 and run a wire from A3 to the red wire on the #2 injector plug. If you ran the red injector wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

Cut the wire at A7 and run a wire from A7 to the yellow wire on the #4 injector plug. If you ran the yellow injector wire into the pass side plug then this is very easy.

MPFIwiring.gif

If you are more the visual type then this is for you. (Big thanks to evilxkid for letting me use this).

hope that helps.

Back