B18A1(OBD0) into 91 Hatch...how simple is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bbissell05

From what I understand swapping a B18A1 (obd0) motor into a 91 Hatch is about as simple as swaps get...or am I hearing wrong? I have a complete 1990 Teg and a complete 91 Hatchy...will I need to buy anything that isn't already in either car? Any help would be great!!!!

Bryan

to install the B18A1 into 91 hatch you will need to purchase a mount kit and shift linkage from someone like Hasport - if your hatch is Si model, you are pretty much set with just mounts and linkage - if the hatch is a DX, you will need the mounts and shift linkage, and will also need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to your engine harness - if the hatch is a STD model, you will need to do the same as for the DX, and in addition, you will need to swap the front knuckles/hubs for ones from a 88-91 CRX DX or Si or from 88-91 Civic DX, Si, LX or EX

Installation instructions for the bolt in mount kit for B-series engines into 88-91 Civic and CR-X

Last edited:
Easy.. and if you have a dx, forget the wire hacking and just swap harnesses with the '90 teg. Only takes like 1 hour if the motors are already out.

So if I just swap the harnesses all I need is the mount kit and linkage? The car is a DX so....that's it??? What linkage do I need or can I fab one from the ones I have? Also are the mounts necessary or will the stockies work for now? Thanks for the help...just a few moe Q's and I'll be set. Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for an actual step-by-step of the process? I'm not new to swaps but this one is new to me and I just like everyone involved (my team) to know what's going on at all times to keep things going when I'm not around. LMK.

Bryan

The stock mounts won't work at all, and the shift linkage will be much easier if you just order it. As for the guide I'm not sure where to look, but it's not hard if you have any sort of mechanical background.

bbissell05 said:
So if I just swap the harnesses all I need is the mount kit and linkage? The car is a DX so....that's it??? What linkage do I need or can I fab one from the ones I have? Also are the mounts necessary or will the stockies work for now? Thanks for the help...just a few moe Q's and I'll be set. Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for an actual step-by-step of the process? I'm not new to swaps but this one is new to me and I just like everyone involved (my team) to know what's going on at all times to keep things going when I'm not around. LMK.

Bryan
the Integra engine harness will not work with the DX chassis harness - you need to use the DX harness and add the necessary wires from the ECU to the engine - these wires are not present in the DX chassis harness

phyregod said:
Easy.. and if you have a dx, forget the wire hacking and just swap harnesses with the '90 teg. Only takes like 1 hour if the motors are already out.

Since when can you swap the harness?

Step 1: Remove complete engine/ecu harness from teg. (interior & exterior)
Step 2: Remove harness from DX
Step 3: Install teg harness in DX.
Step 4: Pat your noob ass on the back. Have a beer.

Or, you can go the ghetto route and run various wires all over the damn place, hack and slash the harness, and make the whole thing sloppy. Either way.

Being that you have a complete teg to rob the harness from, I would strongly reccomend going with option 1.

P.S. There was a company on ebay called "Arizona Race" that sold good shift linkages for like $100 or less. I put em in my car and never had any trouble. Yes, you can do it yourself but for time and simplicity, I would reccomend the linkage.

Mounts: The best/most expensive route is hasport. Damn nice mounts, but very expensive. I used some ebay mounts from a japanese company. I forget the name now, but do your research before you buy cheap mounts.. Some align the motor poorly and cause bad issues.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm just going to go with the Hasport mounts but I think I can fab the linkage myself pretty easily. It's basically the Civic end by the shifter and the Teg end by the tranny...It can't be anything I can't do...

As for the harness, this is why I'd like to find a guide to the swap. I'm sure I can make it run with what I have I'd just rather not cob-job the swap because I build them to sell, not to drive. That is also why I went with the Hasport mounts and not the eBay cast junk...

So, if someone could show me the way to a swap guide on this that would be great....

B18A1 into 84 Civic HB

What axles do I need to use for a B18A1 into a 84 Civic?

*cough* 84? Something tells me youll need new knuckles even if i knew what axles (even though id guess 90-93 integra axles).

Back