B18A1 & Passing Visual

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sdcrx9d1

I just want to start off by saying this site has been a HUGE help!!! Ive been able to answer just about every question or idea Ive come up with. Okay so now that Im done kissing ass heres the question.

Car: 91 CRX HF
Wanted motor: B18A1

After searching and searching I now know all that I will need for this swap (mounts, linkage, axles, etc..). Now Im just looking for a good donor heart. Finally I found a fresh, clean, and very healthy motor for a damn good price. Everything looked great until I was told it was a 92! Doh!

So my question.....Sorry if its an old or stupid question but I still have to ask because I cant find any exact answers while searching and like I said before, its a damn good deal....IF I use all OBD0 components (distributor, harness, & ecu) will this swap work AND pass visual when it goes to the ref? Or is there something about the block & head that just wont mesh right and will F the whole plan up? Like the distributor, will it even mount correctly? If thats the case Ill just keep looking I guess.....damn it.

Well any help or info would be GREATLY appreciated.....thanks

Good question. I'll be watching this one to see what kind of answers you get.

If the 92 doesn't work out, there a guy on here using the handle 91CRX who has an obd0 B18A for sale.

That 92 motor will work perfect, all you need to do is put everything OBD0 on the motor and it'll work fine. Either that or buy the wiring harness to go from OBD0-OBD1. Weigh out the spending money on each choice and there you have your answer.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else have any thoughts?

to pass, you can't use OBD0 parts, you'll have to convert to obd1. my car is a 90 teg (obd0) and i used a 92 motor (obd1) so to be legal, in CA anyway, you have to take the car that was the donor (b18a1 tells me it's a 92-93 teg) so, you'll have to route vac hoses as if your CRX was a teg... make sure the intake is stock... make sure that your header is stock, and make sure that you're not throwing any codes.

you can't go backwards... the motor needs to be newer than the car (or the same year) just do an obd1 conversion, it's not THAT hard... just a lot of tedious wiring work.

since the b18a's came from 90-93 couldn't you just change the dizzy and the injectors and say it was from a 91? wich is the same year as the car.

It will work.

All you will need is this: Distributor, Injectors and ECU. All OBD0 of course.

I just put a 93 B18a1 into my 89 Crx Hf. I just swapped the injectors and distributor off of my previous OBD0 B18a1.

Or yes, you can convert.

his question is to pass visual smog test... and going thru it, i know he can't use the OBD0 parts with an OBD1 motor. if he gets an OBD0 motor, that would be awesome, plug and play.

you CANNOT go obd1 to obd0 and PASS the smog visual. if the engine is obd1, then the car has to be converted as such. trust me on this.

i'm BAR legal, and i can tell you what we had to do to get it that way. with a jdm motor no less... :)

Back