B18A1 Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89CivicH/B

Ok, I just finished putting my B18A1 back together. The only thing changed is PR3 pistons instead of stock. Everything else is stock. I set my cam timing as I always have, with the dots parallel to each other and the top of the head. But I have to give it a little throttle to keep the engine running. It still sounds like its got a little miss and sometimes it surges between 1k and 2k rpms. I've tried adjusting the ignition timing and it runs best with the distributor turned all the left or back towards the firewall. It almost sounds like it has a vacuum or intake leak, but I didnt remove the intake from the head. I just pulled it off as a whole unit. My question is, should the cam timing have to be set a little different since it has higher compression pistons in it? If so should I advance or retard it(i have adjustable cam gears on it but they're set at 0 degrees). If I dont need to mess with the cam timing, What else should I look for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

i see, so should i try to just maybe bump my timing a couple of degrees with my adj. cam gears?.....and which way should i go....advance or retard?

nothing done to either block or head......everything is stock except the PR3 pistons which bumps up my compression

Back