b18a1 running rough please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dkgoodrich

Hi, I started this motor when it was in the 140k 93 LS SE donor car. Ran great. It set for 7 months or so after that.

I just got it all swaped over to my 93 ex coupe.

When I start it, it only sounds like it hits on two cylinders. If you rev it it revs still on only 2 cylinders then pops spits and backfires.

I changed the timing belt on it, when I was removing the belt the intake cam wasnt lined up with the markings. So when I installed the new timing belt I lined every thing up changing the intake side a tooth towards the exhaust. Should I try moving the belt up a tooth on the intake side? Will I bend the valves?

The check engine light comes on about 5 sec after started. I remember how to check that. I used to on my d16.

I checked the plugs, they were black, I cleaned the up with some sandpaper along with the cap and rotor.

Please help Im so so close to driving this thing again.

i hasd the same problem with mine and it was the plug wires double check them because i was looking at fuel air apark and it was ok the only thing was the timing and i knew the timing would be ok so that was the last thing that i wanted to do. i checked my wires and they were all messed up i fixed that and no problems since. my $0.02 if its not that might want to check the wiring on your inectors.

Quoted post[/post]]
i hasd the same problem with mine and it was the plug wires double check them because i was looking at fuel air apark and it was ok the only thing was the timing and i knew the timing would be ok so that was the last thing that i wanted to do. i checked my wires and they were all messed up i fixed that and no problems since. my $0.02 if its not that might want to check the wiring on your inectors.

I used a 95 ls harness on the engine

How do I check the injectors for proper wiring?

I'm hoping my mis firing problem is something simple, like plugs. and not something like igniter, tooth off, ect. ect.

Thanks for ur time.

Pull your timing covers and double check that everything is lined up correctly. If it looks off, change it. Don't worry about damaging the engine b/c you should turn the engine over by hand after making any changes like that. Two full rotations of the crank. If you don't feel any binding up and everything is still lined up, put it back together.

Back