b18A1 swap transmission?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thechief86

hey guys, i have a 93 4door with a swapped in b18a1, and the transmission is shot in it. i can still drive it, but it whines, grinds, and just flat out sucks. the guy i bought the car from said it's a cable clutch transmission from a 91 integra, but he's got the civic slave cylinder bolted on with a homemade bracket(which broke, so it's now a better bracket that i made) and moving the clutch arm. the clutch works pretty good, aside from not slipping enough for smooth takeoffs in traffic, but i can deal with that. question is, what year and model cars can i look at as donors for a useable transmission? which ones are best? gear ratios? limited slip differentials available? anybody have a good deal on one near nashville other than pull-a-part?
how can i tell if the one i'm looking at is good or not?

If it all fell apart, you might as well just run a hydro tranny. Of course, there's no way for us to know what the previous owner hacked apart on your car, so it may not work with out figuring it out.

b16a tranny is about as short as you want to go on an ls.
if you do a ton of highway and don't mind losing a few 10ths in the quarter, the ls tranny is probably better.
blend? the gsr tranny is in the middle.

the b16 and gsr trannies are both avialable with an lsd in their jdm variants. no usa models though.

ratios and such are in the reference section.

thanks man. i found a tranny in a 1989 inegra rs here, and it was in great shape, but it didn't have the holes cast in the right spots to use my transmission mount(pass. side) is there something i can do to make it work? it's pretty cheap, and i already took it out of the car...
i don't know enough about year models and whatnot to know which motor i'm looking at. i just kinda figured that any DOHC honda product would have a compatible tranny in it. if i could get a link or something that kinda explains compatibility, and the names of which motors are which, i'd be set. the only reason i know that what i have is a b18a1 is because the guy i bought it from told me, lol. he said it came from a 94 integra.

Back