b18a1 vs jdm zc motor help!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vince1890

Ok right now I have a 1990 crx si with a zc motor. And I have the option to trade with someone and give them a few hundred for a 90 integra with a b18a1 with a gsr head and first off what's the power of both and then what would it be with a gsr head? The b18 has less than 500 miles on it and he has some headers and says its pushin about 220hp is this correct? Is it more? Or what the only problem is he says one of the head bolts stripped and is trying to say its gonna cost like 200 for him to fix. Will it run fine afterwards or should I just rethread it myself? Please let me know asap!

Also the b18 was bored out to 20.000ths and its been rehoned and surfaced is that good? Or make a difference in power output

Hey there, welcome to Hondaswap!

There are WAY more variables than I think you're considering with this setup... so to answer the simple things:

Boring out 0.002" increases bore by 0.5mm, bringing a B18A's displacement up from 1834cc to 1857cc. That's just barely 1% more than before... it's not going to give earth-shattering increases in power.

Adding a GSR head to a B18A block will usually increase your power output, but only if you tune it properly and the engine is assembled properly. 220hp? I doubt it.

Things you don't know that you NEED to know:
- what pistons are in there?
- compression ratio?
- who built it?

The DOHC ZC is rated from the factory at about 130hp.
The B18A is rated at just under 140hp.
Torque is slightly higher on the B18, but not by much- only a few foot pounds.

Installing a VTEC head does NOT get you 80hp on its own without some good parts inside.

As far as the trade, you'd be giving away a car that you KNOW about for one that's a little heavier, maybe has a tiny tiny bit more power, and which has engine problems. Your CRX is probably faster right now.

How much is your "friend" not telling you about his car? I'd stick with what you have.

Thank you so much but idk if my zc motor is dohc or sohc and when I looked it up online it said like 150hp and I've tried getting numbers off my motor but its all in jap. And as far as knowing the car I mean I buiklt a 91 civic si from ground up but only did the stuff to make it a strong running car. It is a little odd the guys so gun hoe to trade for a slower car. But I mean it also has headers exhaust prob an intake short shifter and nuespeed lowering springs. Ill text him to see what exactly it is. And what engine would you recomend putting in there? I want something that's a pretty clean swap that'll fit in my crx cuz I see no point in doiing anything with this motor unless there's some amazing potential I don't know about

You need to read read read... go hit up our reference section. Some of the information in there is outdated, but there's a LOT for you to learn in there before you even think about trading cars, or before you discount the potential of the engine you do have.

So SOHC or DOHC- are the spark plugs in the center of the valve cover or off along one edge?

Along the edge so I'm pretty sure that's an sohc and I read online for over 8 hours last night I've rebuilt a civic before but by the time I got don't building it and making it reliable andhad a k20 on the way and about to start learning all that stuff I totaled it in the rain lol so yea

Back