b18a1 With B17 head type r cams piston clearance.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM-JAMES

Hey im building a ls/vtec b18a1 block stock internals with a b17 gsr head with type r cams i was wondering if i would have enough piston to valve clearance with this setup one more question i have is if i put p61(b17) pistons in the ls would i have more piston to valve clearance and more compression? and last but not least how hard is it to punch out the wrist pins or is it not possable in my own garage.

Yes, you should have enough clearance.

The B17 pistons will definitely increase compression but clearance will be a little closer. It should still work fine though as there are people using B16 pistons, which have larger domes, in LS-block setups with no problems. You can always clay it to make sure there's no contact with the piston and head/valves.

The wrist-pins can't be "punched out" so to say. They're pressed in with a press, and need to be pressed out. Honda uses a special tool(used in conjunction with the press) that prevents damage to the piston. If you have a +5ton press, you can still do it in your garage. I was able to press mine out at a shop with a press by using a assortment of different sockets(not recommended!). When I had another shop do a different set of pistons, which did not have the tool, the pistons were messed up.

The tool itself is very hard to find(I believe they only sell it to Honda shops or something). I had asked some shops if they could do it for me but they said they wouldn't press out the pins unless they worked on the block.

Go for it dude! Let us know how it goes.

Back