b18b block build suggestions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ktyr5151

Planning on building my b18b for a turbo. I've never built a motor before but I have some friends who can help me out. I was planning on putting 15-18lbs of boost on a 56 trim garret. Or something similar to that size turbo. I need suggestions on pistons and rods. Thanks.

ive been running ~450whp on stock sleeves, eagle rods and JE pistons with no problems. also running an OEM head gasket.
just make sure you use properly sized OEM bearings and seals where possible. that will make or break your build.

eagle rods
JE pistons 9.0:1
OEM hg
BC turbo cams
BC springs & retainers
edelbrock victor x
RC 1000cc injectors
turbonetics t04e @23-24psi
synapse 40mm wg
3" straight exhaust to dynomax super turbo
methanol :ph34r:

if i were to build another honda engine i think i would probably go with CP pistons. i have heard that they tend to swell less than JE pistons due to the materials used in the piston.

what made you choose that turbo?

Im not really sure.
Its not a defibite turbo setup though. What turbo would you suggest?

if youre looking to make a power in the neighborhood of 400whp, id suggest something ball bearing. something like this: Garrett Ball Bearing T3/60-1 550HP OIL/WATER COOL TURBO | eBay

in the .58A/R exhaust housing. quick spool, and this turbo will definitely take you where you want to go.

since that is likely out of your budget (as i find with most who come through here) you have a few options with journal bearing turbochargers as well. you can go with that same turbocharger in journal bearing:
Garrett T3/60-1 550 HP TURBO T04S JOURNAL BEARING T31 | eBay

or you could possibly make it with a 60 trim t3/t4 with a larger exhaust and compressor housing.

Im really not working on a budget. I like both of those turbos. Still have awhile before i have to worry about the turbo so i have alot of time to think about it and make a decision. But what is the difference between the journal and ball bearing?

ball bearing - oil and water cooled
journal - oil cooled (typically)

the ball bearing turbo isn't going to make any more power than a journal bearing turbo would. unless you are out of the journal bearing turbo's efficiency range. that is where the ball bearing turbo makes sense. they are able to turn higher RPM's than the journal bearing turbo (if we are talking about the same turbo; one being journal and one being ball bearing).

a ball bearing turbo will spool more quickly than a journal bearing turbo will, garrett advertises up to 15% quicker. the result is a smoother power curve (depending on tuning) and less of a "spikey" feel like most turbocharged cars (my car has a very strange powerband).

a ball bearing turbo is also more tolerant of adverse lubrication conditions; the wear and tear on a ball bearing turbo after shut down is virtually non-existent.

hope this helps clear up some confusion.

full race makes awesome quality stuff. the turbo is a bit much for your goal, but hey that always leaves room to grow :thumbsup:
just make sure your engine is ready for this kind of power. seals, gaskets, etc should be replaced with new OEM stuff, dont take any shortcuts!

Thanks man. I will defdinitely get one going. Is there any other kits that you would suggest? I wanna spend between 3000 and 5000 on a turbo kit. Im only finding the cheap ebay shit when i look it up.

I actually have a ramhorn from a friend. A new turbo wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the help.

Where do you think would be the cheapest place to purchase a piston rod combo. Im pretty sure im going to go with the CP pistons and eagle rods?I know ebay has them for like 775 ish.

ebay is the cheapest place i could find when i bought mine. keep in mind that CP pistons are almost 600$ when you purchase seperately, so that isnt a bad deal at all.

Back