b18b block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blacksheep115

Ok guys, i just got my b18b block in. My plan is to put this into a 98 civic ex, 5 speed. Right now i'm looking at pistons/rods, etc. My goal is 300hp at the wheels or hopefully atleast. I am wondering if it is a must to have the block sleeved and bored out. Or is it possible to make that in stock bore block with stock sleeves? Or is it really worth the 600 bucks for sleevs and 700 to have them put in and bored out to 84mm. I plan on running high hp turbo's and be tuned for nitrous. Let me know what you think and or any suggestions you might have. Also if you think the stock sleeves are sufficient how much do you think the stock block can handle?

I think your plan to run 'high hp turbos and nitrous' is a little premature. You need to start doing research and figure out exactly what you want, because 300 whp is not that great when some guy hands you your nuts at the strip in his 190 whp car. Why is high whp a goal to be reached? If you are in it to win races, then figure out what you want to race, be it drag, circuit, autocross, endurance, etc...and go from there.

300 whp has been done on a stock block. Reliable? If built and tuned right, sure. What's the max possible? Who knows? I am sure there are rules of thumb. Engineering-wise, fatigue strength of the cylinder walls can be analytically or numerically computed, but who honestly wants to do the calcs? If you don't want to sleeve, stay with the stock bore, thicker cylinder walls are your friend. Sleeving will be your savior if you plan on running lots of nitrous, or really big turbos.

My suggestion: Sleeve, go with an 84mm bore, forged, balanced reciprocating assembly. Your bottom end will be bulletproof, and you'll have a good bit of displacement to start with.

Thanks mike, i really have been reading, i may have based my question a little more general. But here is my idea. I don't really want low end power i want mid to high power range. I'm not to concerned with the 1/4 mile. I'm not thinking ranging sleeves out just wondering if it's neccessary for what i want. But i don'tt know what the stock block can take. I know proper tuning will go a long way and i'm wondering if it will go far enough :p Balanced crank, etc. I know forged pistons because i want it to be tuned for no2, will no2 bother stock cylnder walls? (that could be another factor of me having it sleeved?) I want the block to last, as long as it is maintained. Thanks for the help again, anything more would be great. Tell me what you think

Blacksheep

also something that would help would be a diagram of the b18 motor, i need to know everything to get from bearings to bolts. Thanks

for 300hp would you need turbo and nitrous if you are boring it out to about 2.0liters?

I think you'd be fine with one or the either and spending the money saved somewhere else that will help performance, which is another commong question which is more suited for you

Back