b18b head on a b16a block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dark91zc

first off i traded a 89 hatch that needed work for a b16a block and a complete b18b head. will i run in to any issues if i do this.

clearify the question. are you talking about lsvtec? if you are, its not as simple as bolting on the head and going down the road. there's machine work and stuff required.

not ls vtec

i have a b18b head and i am going to put it on a b16a block. what is needed to be done to do this setup? (what work is needed) thanks

i know the question sounds stupid but i am a d-series and now steppin into the b-series realm :)

this has always seemed like a neat idea to me. i can see it working if you use the lsvtec dowels (upside down) and maybe you have to plug some oil holes in the block? not sure about that.

the only thing i would see having to do is the oil jet in the non vtec b18a/b blocks just to put that in the place on the b16a otherwise i have no clue what you are talking about

sorry

this has been done with some success. a guy on honda-tech from like brazil or something was road racing with this setup a long time ago. the flow on the b18b head is not so great from what i have heard, i might try porting and polishing before the install.

it seems like a great way to re-create the performance of a d series, with a lot more cost and complexity. isnt the point of swapping in a b series to get more torque and more hp- not less?

wasnt this dubbed the "Bastard B-Series" by someone on this board?

Its not about power, but about making the most of what you got. There's lots of B16 shortblocks, and lots of LS heads due to the creation of LS/VTECs. I say, go for it. The LS head may not flow that well; but it should flow "OK" for the B16 since there's less cfm needed for the same RPM.

If youre boosting it, it shouldnt be too different from a VTEC B16 running the same amount of boost.

expect 110 hp at the crank. and like 80 ft lbs.

no displacement, no top end power.
its the worst of both worlds.

so a b18b head on a b18a block is better or b18a head on b18a block is better than a b18a/b head on b16a block

b18b......but you prob could not tell the diff

dont know what year b18b my friend pulled it from a 93 gs :)

b18b's didnt come from 93 integra's. that engine came out in 94, in the integra. so, its more then likely a swapped engine. look at the casting date on the head, this will determine what year it is.

Back