B18b in my EK... your 2cents needed!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spartan_327

I am in the process of swapping an LS B18b into my EK, and wouldn't mind your suggestions. Keep in mind it's my daily driver, and it will stay N/A.

Before I stuff the LS motor into my car, what other performance parts would you guys recommend while I have easy access to the motor/tranny? At this point, I'll be replacing the essential items (timing belt, water pump, etc), along with a good header, as well as the flywheel, clutch, and maybe even a short shifter.

For those that have been down this road before, any suggestions for other parts I should concider? Im no stranger to moddin' honda's, I've had a few others before my EK, but have been too chicken shit to go the swap route, lol.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to upgrade the cams? Obviously nothing crazy, but I'm not sure if spending that kind of money is worth it for a mild cam upgrade...

you can always build the B18B since its out of the car (b16a pistons/ aftermarket cams), but if you don't want to do that then i/h/e/ and a skunk2 or other IM /TB.

sounds like your planning on using the LS tranny, you may want to consider using the tranny from the GSR instead of the LS as well. Just some 2cents.

ahh i mean you can but it can be done with the motor in the car. but with it being a daily driver i would just get a mild one if any and maybe a good intake manifold

Yeah... I was thinking throttle body and possibly intake manifold.... but aren't those fairly pricey? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it was worth the money when compared to the hp gains you get... Any brands you guys would recommend for cams/TB/IM? Keep in mind I'm not made of money! lol :p

Also, I did try to get a GSR tranny, but couldn't find one that wasn't ridiculously over-priced or beaten to shit. I know I'd find one eventually, but the tranny from the ls is in decent shape, so I'll make do with that for now.

I forgot to mention that I already have a decent cold air intake, and cat back exhaust.

Thanks for your ideas, keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Crower makes some good non-VTEC cams, but I'm not sure thats within your budget or not. Have at look here: Crower Cams & Equipment

The Skunk2 IM's go for around $220 or so, its based off the Type R's IM so I'm guess all the gains will be in the topend, gains would be better with cams. Ive heard you may lose a little bottom end with those IM's, but don't quote me on that. Blox as makes IM's as well.

Last edited:
To the OP: If you haven't put that engine in the car yet, I have a big tip for you. Pull the engine bay wiring harness out of the car and hook it up to the engine out of the car, it will make your life so much easier.

^ Thanks for the tip :) However, I'm not too worried, since I'm having a shop do it.

I would love to be able to do it myself, but living in an appt, with no space to do it... not to mention my lack of decent tools doesn't help matters either. Plus, this is my daily driver, so I need it done right the first time, by someone who's done this swap a million times.

The car was in the shop today getting the swap done, so fingers crossed, I'll have it back tomorrow :)

biggest difference add a thin metal head gasket80-120$( raises compression a little) add the arp head studs( about 120-140 bux.(good to have) makes thing easier.
just do things that actually make a difference. things that are worth the money. ie a set of cams. dont waste tiem on a tb. while the head is off take it to the mahcine shop ask them to mill off 1 mill keeping in mind this is an all motor route. have them clean and inspect the head total cost be around 260 bux or so. With the metal gasket and the mill you'll bump up the compression add the cams and you'll really feel it.
that's my 2 cents. dont go spendign money where you dont need to.

Back