B18b into 2000 hatch - Not running right! PLEASE help! WATCH VIDEO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

belts get warn and can jump a tooth

check the base timing.... not just the timing belt alignment... you did pull out the distributor right? well, have you set base timing by bypassing the ecu and seeing where the car's base timing is? to disable the ecu, you need to short it out via the connector on the kick panel on the passenger side.... get me?

check the base timing.... not just the timing belt alignment... you did pull out the distributor right? well, have you set base timing by bypassing the ecu and seeing where the car's base timing is? to disable the ecu, you need to short it out via the connector on the kick panel on the passenger side.... get me?
dizzy good...timing isnt off on it due to it ran good in the integra never removed it when swapped...

It doesn't hurt to pull cover and check it dude, check the sensor on the crank to see if its plugged it all the way. I did a b20z swap into an civic si, bought a obd2b to obd2a conversion harness and plugged everything up, had all maintenance done to the block before dropping it in, clean intake manifold and injectors, new head gasket. Car runs super fine. Make sure your injectors are firing as well.

It doesn't hurt to pull cover and check it dude, check the sensor on the crank to see if its plugged it all the way. I did a b20z swap into an civic si, bought a obd2b to obd2a conversion harness and plugged everything up, had all maintenance done to the block before dropping it in, clean intake manifold and injectors, new head gasket. Car runs super fine. Make sure your injectors are firing as well.
i know injectors are all firing due to when pull plug off when running it makes a diffrence so would make me believe its firing on all 4....but ill check it out...obd1 u dont need to plug in the ckf sensor.

I hope you didn't confuse the iat plug for something else, make sure your tps and map sensor plugs are correct.
LOL I did this when I swapped my B18B in my 98 civic. Mixed up the AIT and EVAP purge harness plugs. Fired the EVAP circuits in the ECU. Sorry O totally forgot about looking up the Flowchart for your CEL code. I will try to do it tomorrow if you have not get it fixed yet. In a Civic with a B18B1 motor if you dont plan on adding Vtec later a Dx or Ls harness is the best to use. I used one on my swap, but I added Vtec later so I had to add wiring. One thing I did not think of it there is some repining at the ECU that needs to be done and a few harness plugs that need to be swapped out with plugs of the B18B1 harness. Check out http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ this is where I got all my wiring info for my swap. It was wired right the first time, Hasport told me about this site.

Last edited:
LOL I did this when I swapped my B18B in my 98 civic. Mixed up the AIT and EVAP purge harness plugs. Fired the EVAP circuits in the ECU. Sorry O totally forgot about looking up the Flowchart for your CEL code. I will try to do it tomorrow if you have not get it fixed yet. In a Civic with a B18B1 motor if you dont plan on adding Vtec later a Dx or Ls harness is the best to use. I used one on my swap, but I added Vtec later so I had to add wiring. One thing I did not think of it there is some repining at the ECU that needs to be done and a few harness plugs that need to be swapped out with plugs of the B18B1 harness. Check out .:FFS TechNet:. this is where I got all my wiring info for my swap. It was wired right the first time, Hasport told me about this site.
thanks got ride of all codes but iacv... still doesnt run good... wiring is all correct we triple checked it..we used the d16y8 harness because its plug and play no 3-2 wire conversion its a option alot of ppl use. its something weird cuz it runs good on the d16y7 ecu but not on the b18b1. the ecu is good due to we tried it on my buddies integra and my buddies swapped civic with b16 it ran them just fine

It is not plug and play almost. All D16 harnesses have a different EVAP purge plug and a CFS plug. Since you are running OBD1 ECU the CFS will not matter. The code 9 is a TDC/CKP/CYL code. the dizzy is the first thing to check but you have used a few different dizzys so that must not be it. Make sure you clocked the dizzy correctly and that it is not 180 off. Strange problem, this is a very easy swap.

Last edited:
It is not plug and play almost. All D16 harnesses have a different EVAP purge plug and a CFS plug. Since you are running OBD1 ECU the CFS will not matter. The code 9 is a TDC/CKP/CYL code. the dizzy is the first thing to check but you have used a few different dizzys so that must not be it. Make sure you clocked the dizzy correctly and that it is not 180 off. Strange problem, this is a very easy swap.
yeah the evap purge plug isnt plugged in right now.. would that make a huge diffrence or no?

Update: we got ride of all engine codes...doesnt throw any but still runs the same...figured out it wont rev past 3500,so we think its in limp mode... any ideas guys?

What have you did to fix the problem ?
I currently have the exact same problem !
If I run a D ecu, it runs the same as if we plug the obd1 ecu (with a obd2b-obd1 conversion harness.

iacv conversion 3-2 wires
obd2a-obd2b dizzy conversion

Help me please !

Back