B18b Into A 95 Civic Dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stooks

Hey Everyone,

Well first off I am a college student so money is a big issue. Now this is what I would like to do. I want to increase the hp in my car but don't want to spend an incredible amount of money. I have found a 97 ls motor with 47,000 mi on it for $1100. Is that a good price? Now I know the advantages and disadadv. of both the GSR and the LS and I have decided on the LS for the sure money factor. Now the problem that I am having is determining what parts I will need to purchase, such as axles, transmission, ecu etc. Or will the original parts work from my civ? After graduating I would like to turbo charge it but for now I am looking for a higher hp daily driver that will have a little kick.

Thanks so much for you help,

Stooks

hey wasup dude,

i just did a B18B swap into my 95 EG hatch...its a huge difference...its all raw torque...its hype dude...especially the motor is cheap to start of with...from the gsr...i was thinkin of doing before...but i didnt want to drop 5000 CAD for it when i spent only 2000 CAD for m LS...
also you should be able to build a nice LS motor with all the money you saved from buying the GSR motor....and be faster than a GSR.....
based on parts...you can get alot....it depends on what you want....in my case im doing internal work such as cams, pistons, value adj, etc. just by doing that will gain hp for sure...and your car will be fast...
put it this way...5000 CAD in a LS motor ...will be rocking GSR...and giving them something to think about..hahhahhahaha

latez dude
good luck

sorry i forgot to add....

get a nice tranny...i suggest if you are going all motor...get the b16 or GSR tranny....with close gear ratios...i went with the gsr tranny....it makes a huge difference....

clutch...go with a basic type r clutch with pressure plate and flywheel..and you RPM will be flying through with ease...

latez

Hey thanks for the advice. I just have another question. Which axles will work? Can I use my stock axles or not? Another thing is I believe that the 97 Ls is obd2 and I think my car is obd1 shousd that cause any wiring problems? Also will I need to get different engine mounts?
Thanks again. Sounds like I will be having some fun.

Source a 94-95 B18B and tranny(92+ B16 or 94+GSR,LS whatever) and the OBD is the same.You need the axles from the B18 and the ECU,shiftlinkage and mounts.

Do you think it would be better for me to find a 94-95 ls motor or should I buy the 97? Or does it not really matter?

Thanks

If you get the 94-95 one it will all plug right in,the 97 you will have to convert some OBD specific items(distributor,injectors,etc...),but $1100 is a good price for a 97 motor,so if you can source the OBD I parts at a junkyard for cheap and run a OBD I ECU,you'll be coming out ahead with a newer motor.

Back