b18b or b18a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

blewup91rex

i wanna know the difference between a b18 a and b18b i know the a came in the 90-93 just wondering if there is a dif cause im doin lsvtec and i came across a b18a for good price?

b18a1 is OBD 0, has about 10 less HP than the b (slightly different cams)....other than that there are pretty much identical

the only other thing is wear and tear..a 90 B18b1 is going to have many more miles and use than say a 99 b18b1...something to consider..I do!

really, hybrid said it all. if you are putting this in a 91 CRX, the wiring will be easier on the a1 (especially if this is a crx si).

Not all right info.

B18a was from 90-95. It was cable in 90-93 and hydro in 94-95. 90-91 is OBD0 and 92-95 is OBD1.

B18b was from 96-01. It was always hydro. Its OBD2a and OBD2b but I forget the year it switched.

im quite sure that b18b1s spanned both obd2 and obd1. i could be wrong, but one of my exs had a 95 teg and she had a b18b1.

it does not matter. just change the dizzy and injectors and they will both work just fine. but your going to need the b18a from 90-91 if you want no wiring problems at all.

they started putting the b18b in the 94 and up. and 92 and up gained 10 hp

cable...its not a bad choice, but its a difficult one.....so by that standard, yes its a bad choice.

so if i wanna get a new tranny would it be a big hassle if it was a cable tranny in the car right now? oh and how much could i get for a 91 crx engine? like 200 bucks or more?? LOL tranny clutch flywheel and all!!! 1000 bucks:poh and is hydro tranny better?? and is the b18c a hard engine to tune with the turbo? would it be a better idea to get a b18a or b and turbo?? or is the b18c a good turbo engine?

Whoa.... too many questions.....
First of all, you are going to need a new transmission no matter what b-series engine you get, because the d-series transmission that your d-series crx engine is mounted to will not bolt up to a b-series engine.
You probably won't get much more than a few hundred for both engine and transmission out of your crx. They are a dime a dozen.
You can use hydro or cable transmission, but a cable transmission is easier to swap in because you already have a cable system in the car. That is, your clutch pedal releases the clutch by way of pulling on a cable rather than pushing hydraulic fluid. If you want to use a hydraulic transmission, you'll have to add hydraulic lines to the car. Not a big deal by any means, just a bit more work and more parts you'll have to pull from a parts car.
It's personal preference as to which hydraulic or cable clutches are better. Go drive a car with a cable clutch, and then go drive a car with a hydraulic clutch, and go with whichever you think feels better. hydraulic transmissions tend to have a lot less miles on them though, but it's not really an issue if the transmission has been taken care of.

B18a, b, and c engines are all very good choices for a turbo, and will all be tuned as easily as the other. Just depends on how much you want to spend, because the vtec engines cost more, but the heads are capable of flowing a LOT more than the nonvtec heads straight from the factory. But they are all very capable engines.

Thanks MikeBergy you see how i was soo noob at first but im getting to know my stuff now!! :p sry for all the questions...but ok thanks..well which do you prefer?? hydraulic or cable? oh and if my 1st gear makes a weird noise after 3000 rpm...like a fast constant ticking sorta noise...what do that mean if you know? and umm yeah so with the vtec its alot more power? alrighty man well thx dude

i myself prefer the cable clutch cuz u can get more a feel when it engages and if your doin a swap dont really need to worry about the ticking right? and on the motors the B18A1-140hp 121lbs/torque B18B1-142hp 127 lbs/torque B18C1-170hp 128lbs/torque.....stock atleast my b18A1 is pushin 195whp without the spray

yeah it dont matter cus im swappin... but fuck my car sounds like shiat now LOL oh well...im swappin ! well thats good power out of a B18A i think...i wanna run a turbo on a B18C...well i dont know what ill do i got cable clutch now and it feels pretty good...its really like jumpy tho it seems...i dunno...maybe im just a bad shifter :p lol

Not all right info.

B18a was from 90-95. It was cable in 90-93 and hydro in 94-95. 90-91 is OBD0 and 92-95 is OBD1.

B18b was from 96-01. It was always hydro. Its OBD2a and OBD2b but I forget the year it switched.

that is also not true...my dad bought a brand new 94 teggy in 94 and it had a b18b1

yeah 90-93 was 2nd gen integras they all had b18A1 and then 94-up all had B18B1's other than GSR's that have B18C1 and Type R's that have B18C5's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back