b18b prep

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boosting4me

So yet another b series thread
first off i will start off with the year of of car 1988 civic dx running full si wiring harness with d15b2 mulitiport

I just picked up a b18b out of a 94 for a good deal its complete minus tranny because it was an auto... Now i know I should convert to obd1 so i picked up obd-0-obd1 ecu conversion harness. Now my question is how am i supposed to connect the 4 wire 02 sensor do i need another harness ? also how do I connect the distributor plugs from what i read There different.

from what i got i need the following
90-93 teg axles
92-96 teg ecu
90-93 shift linkange
90-93 throttle cable
and mounts i was thinking these eBay Motors: HONDA CRX /CIVIC JDM VTEC MOTOR MOUNTS B16 B18b 88-91 (item 310137359051 end time May-01-09 18:32:50 PDT)
thanx

boost after everything runs good :)

I ran my old 91 civic 4door off a PM6 and kept it obd0. I still ran a consistent 9.6 in the 1/8 mile. You dont have to convert to obd1 unless you plan to tune and even then you dont always have the faster car.

Whatever you do get a 96-00 B18b manual intake manifold and cams. Since youre going into a cable transmission car look for a 4.40 LS transmissionm the 4.26 is crap. A good header and exhaust with zero tuning and youll pull V8's easily.

I ran my old 91 civic 4door off a PM6 and kept it obd0. I still ran a consistent 9.6 in the 1/8 mile. You dont have to convert to obd1 unless you plan to tune and even then you dont always have the faster car.

Whatever you do get a 96-00 B18b manual intake manifold and cams. Since youre going into a cable transmission car look for a 4.40 LS transmissionm the 4.26 is crap. A good header and exhaust with zero tuning and youll pull V8's easily.

You can stay obd0 by running an obd0 pr4. otherwise convert to obd1 since you already have the obd1 dizzy, and use an obd1 pr4 or p75. i would use a rywire harness for the conversion. Rywire - Online Store

You don't have to get the intake manifold or cams. the newer im does flows a little better and looks better, but the cams are virtually identical. its up to you, but dont expect any appreciable performance gain from it.

The only 4.26 fd ls transmission is from the 94+ tegs and they are hydraulic. since he will be staying with a cable trans, 4.40 is his only option if its an ls tranny. the only other 4.26 trans came in the civic/crx sir and was mated to the b16a.

also, saying he'll pull v8's easily is a pretty vague statement. if he's racing an old fox body 5.0 rustang, or ford econoline van, then yea he's got a pretty good chance. but assuming its a car that runs faster than mid to low 15's in the quarter, he's going to get his ass handed to him lol.

ok as far as the o2 sensor wiring and distributor how do i go about doing that there i have the rywire obd1 ecu conversion

You can stay obd0 by running an obd0 pr4. otherwise convert to obd1 since you already have the obd1 dizzy, and use an obd1 pr4 or p75. i would use a rywire harness for the conversion. Rywire - Online Store

You don't have to get the intake manifold or cams. the newer im does flows a little better and looks better, but the cams are virtually identical. its up to you, but dont expect any appreciable performance gain from it.

The only 4.26 fd ls transmission is from the 94+ tegs and they are hydraulic. since he will be staying with a cable trans, 4.40 is his only option if its an ls tranny. the only other 4.26 trans came in the civic/crx sir and was mated to the b16a.

also, saying he'll pull v8's easily is a pretty vague statement. if he's racing an old fox body 5.0 rustang, or ford econoline van, then yea he's got a pretty good chance. but assuming its a car that runs faster than mid to low 15's in the quarter, he's going to get his ass handed to him lol.

Only reason I suggest 96-00 cams and intake manifold is because that was my setup and my car was still OBD0. All hydraulic LS trans were 4.26s but the cable LS trans came in both 4.40 and 4.26. The B16a cable trans has the same ratio as the 00 ITR but a different final drive, a 4.40. The B17a vtec had a cable trans with the same ratios and a 4.40 final drive. Look around the net and know what your talking about next time you decide to stick your foot in your mouth.

I was using the V8 as a example, dont be a douche......buy comparing a race between a swap and a van.

Last edited:
All hydraulic LS trans were 4.26s but the cable LS trans came in both 4.40 and 4.26. Look around the net and know what your talking about next time you decide to stick your foot in your mouth.

I was using the V8 as a example, dont be a douche......buy comparing a race between a swap and a van.

How am i being a "douche" by critiquing your very generalized statement that he will "pull v8's easily" with an ls swap. get real.

My foot in my mouth? hardly. first off, i didn't bring anything up about the b16a in relation to the type r trans, or anything to do with the b17a trans, so i'm not really sure why you felt the need to throw that in there... i took the liberty of removing from above ^ the stuff that i did not bring up in my previous post. that being said, why don't you take your own advice asshat, and research some shit before you start with the verbal diarrhea again.

B-SERIES TRANSMISSION SPECS AND CODES - Honda Forum / Acura Forum - SuperHonda.com
https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-transmission-specs-29132/

Last edited:
ok as far as the o2 sensor wiring and distributor how do i go about doing that there i have the rywire obd1 ecu conversion

If you've got the rywire conversion harness, then you will have the plugs and wiring pre-wired into the jumper itself for you. all you have to do is run the jumper harness into the engine bay and hook up the o2 to the appropriate plug. with the conversion kit you also should have received an obd0-1 dizzy harness adapter so that you can plug your obd1 diz into the obd0 engine harness.

How am i being a "douche" by critiquing your very generalized statement that he will "pull v8's easily" with an ls swap. get real.

My foot in my mouth? hardly. first off, i didn't bring anything up about the b16a in relation to the type r trans, or anything to do with the b17a trans, so i'm not really sure why you felt the need to throw that in there... i took the liberty of removing from above ^ the stuff that i did not bring up in my previous post. that being said, why don't you take your own advice asshat, and research some shit before you start with the verbal diarrhea again.

B-SERIES TRANSMISSION SPECS AND CODES - Honda Forum / Acura Forum - SuperHonda.com
https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-transmission-specs-29132/

Look here buddy your the one thats confused here, the 90-91 LS had longer gears and a 4.40, and the 92-93 also cable had the shorter gears and the 4.26. Tranzex on dseries.org can vouch for this as he has takin many of the apart and counted the counter and mainshafts.

You have a tendency of puttin your 2cents in on alot of threads I post on like youre a LS/B series god, you get real and stop posting some wrong informed thread that you saw on another forum. Theres alot of misinformed info on the web and the only way to get ratios is by counting the number of teeth on a transmissions main and countershaft, this of course you already knew.

Im not here to tangle with you and wont do it anymore, these forums are nothing more to me but reference points for work. Sorry I bagged on you but you came off like a smartass. Stay off my post and Ill stay off yours OK? Later dude....

92-93 Trans specs revised due to the engine's increased power output....

"MANUAL TRANSMISSION
The manual transmission's gear ratios were revised in the 1992 model year to match the power and torque curves of the engine. Due to increased engine output, it was possible to use slightly taller ratios for first, second, third and fourth gears; the final drive ratio has been shortened slightly."

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/749/releases/3018

Original Poster: sorry for this unfortunate encounter within your thread.....

Last edited:
although the page you linked does not specify in detail what exactly changed, i will take your word for it (and the guys at dseries.org) that their are 2 different gear sets in the ls trannys. this is the first i've heard of this. no one has ever said anything to me, or mentioned in a thread of there own about such a thing. you see 99% of the time i come across people spouting off this and that, it never fails that they don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground, so i am sorry for givin you shit about it. its just mind boggling how apparently so many other people are unaware of these differences. I searched damn near everywhere and i found absolutely squat pertaining to these differences. every site i found lists the 90-93 ls's as all having the same specs/gearing/fd/etc. (aside from a 1/16" larger input spline on the 92-93's, i found this out the hard way lol). plus i figure if a guy with 50,000 posts is putting some info up, it's a fairly good bet that it is accurate. apparently this is not the case. anyways, it's good info to have and i'll be sure to spread it to others who have been lead to believe otherwise.

So you say the 90-91 has a 4.40 fd, and longer gears, but the 92-93 has a 4.26 fd and slightly shorter gears. Wouldn't that equate to them about evening out, or is there that big of a difference between the two?

although the page you linked does not specify in detail what exactly changed, i will take your word for it (and the guys at dseries.org) that their are 2 different gear sets in the ls trannys. this is the first i've heard of this. no one has ever said anything to me, or mentioned in a thread of there own about such a thing. you see 99% of the time i come across people spouting off this and that, it never fails that they don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground, so i am sorry for givin you shit about it. its just mind boggling how apparently so many other people are unaware of these differences. I searched damn near everywhere and i found absolutely squat pertaining to these differences. every site i found lists the 90-93 ls's as all having the same specs/gearing/fd/etc. (aside from a 1/16" larger input spline on the 92-93's, i found this out the hard way lol). plus i figure if a guy with 50,000 posts is putting some info up, it's a fairly good bet that it is accurate. apparently this is not the case. anyways, it's good info to have and i'll be sure to spread it to others who have been lead to believe otherwise.

So you say the 90-91 has a 4.40 fd, and longer gears, but the 92-93 has a 4.26 fd and slightly shorter gears. Wouldn't that equate to them about evening out, or is there that big of a difference between the two?

Apparently the 92-93 Ls transmission has the same exact gearing as the 94 and up hydraulic ones. I had a friend out here in with a Lsvtec on a 4.26 gear and I would pull him in first everytime. My swap had the 90 4.40. I dont think alot of ppl know about the difference in the gearing, but its true. Sorry if I came off as a ass, but like you said theres alot of ppl on these forums that talk out of the side of their necks. I wanted to let you know I was not, I never post information up unless im certain or find evidence backing my post.

the harness i bought used off somebody all it is the ecu conversion harness eith a lil harness comming off of it about 8 inches im still confused if this is the only harness i need

Back