B18B rebuild, I need some direction

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I have a 95 integra LS (b18b odb1). The tranny is awesome, but the motor a lil off. It has 165K on it, will need a rebuild in the near future (it has more issues than the retard I work with). I was thinking since it needs a rebuild why not add a lil more white rice to it. I was trying to decide between N/A and a Turbo. I want to use my b18b in either case. I am working with a tight budget so I want the $$$ cost to stay low, but this is my daily driver so I need to be semi-reliable too and I don't mind adding a lil $$$ to + reliablity.

Cliff notes
- Rebuild on my daily driver
- Should I do a stock rebuild or aftermarket parts?
- If aftermarket what parts?
- If I should get a turbo what turbo?

if you are on a budget, dont consider a turbo.

if you go all motor.. up the compression by using some pr3 pistons if you want to stick with OEM parts.

What's the maximum you would want to spend on this re-build?
What is your prefference, all-motor or turbo?
What type of driving do you do? auto-cross, track, or a quick street car with some ocassional stop light battles?
what areyour power goals?
You have to be realistic in what you want your car to be....You can't have an 11 to`12 second teg and expect to go to work everyday, a smooth idle and an engine with 100k+ reliability...

What's the maximum you would want to spend on this re-build?
What is your prefference, all-motor or turbo?
What type of driving do you do? auto-cross, track, or a quick street car with some ocassional stop light battles?
what areyour power goals?
You have to be realistic in what you want your car to be....You can't have an 11 to`12 second teg and expect to go to work everyday, a smooth idle and an engine with 100k+ reliability...

My driving consist of mostly a quick street car, but in the summer i do enjoy going to the track. I have some understanding of honda setup, but I don't really have an amount in mind yet (I have $$$ saved + IRS owes me big :D , but I don't wanna empty my account) . I don't really have a "power goal" , but I would love to hit 13's on the track. I actually don't want to go below 13 flat cuz I would need a cage.

there are so many different routes you can take... You can swap out your engine for a b18c( jdm gsr)... or you can build yourself a reliable lsvtec...usually a reliable lsvtec includes aftermarket rods, forged pistonsor some , arp head studs, vtec oil pump,etc. Turbo would be harder to maintain and more expensive....

My engine cost about 2700 bucks to build, thats not including the aftermarket cams and valve train...this is what that 2700 covered
-eagle rods
-je pistons
- block guard
-arp head studs, all necessary gaskets, and bearings
-labor, this included boring and honing the cylinders .50 mm over, engine assembly, mating of the vtec head to the ls block, and balancing the rotating assembly; they also installed my cams and valvetrain components too, so i guess you could lower that total a few hundred bucks if you were using a stock b16 head, then again you still need to source a b16 head.
With some ITR head internals good tuning and a b16 tranny, 13's should come easy with some good driving skills...good luck and feel free to ask some more questions....
This is a process you should not hurry, take your time researching what you want and what options you have available.....You could save money if youwere to get Itr rods and pistons, just don't rev past 8k rpm's...

If you went with the reliable aftermarket block internals on an lsvtec conversion; it would be a good foundation for a nice wet nitrous system, for those lower 1/4 time yearnings.... You could also rebuild your stock block and keep it stock with fresh new piston rings gaskets and bearings, but you would stay stock...but it would be cheapest....another option would be getting a b20z engine swapped in... You could also stay non-vtec and still have a quick street set-up...

An h22 would be nice for a drag stand point....I guess it depends where you live... if you live an area with fun twisty backroads, that you like to frequent, I would stay away from the h22; in the other hand if you just live on straight flatlands, you may want to consider the h22; have you ever driven a prelude? I have, and I have to say, compared to my b-series tranny and shift feel, it blows major dick!

I run a pretty consistent 13.8 on my set-up with some weight taken out the car....I'm hoping to drop a few tenths this summer by swithing to some bf goodrich drag radials.....I will also add a 100 shot in the near future for the rack only....hope to hit low 13s or high 12s if possible.. :ph34r:

whats your budget man? end of story.

1-1.5k - up compression w/ b16 pistons, rebuild bottom end, rebuild head, port/polish

2-2.5k - see above + cams and valve train

3-3.5k - now, you can go a bunch of different ways... h22 swap, b18c swap, small turbo on the stock motor... but you say its shot, so again, im going to bump this up a $$ level.

4-5k - small turbo, rebuilt bottom end, rods/pistons, vafc hack

if you're looking to spend more than 5... i'll go on. let me know

That sums it up right there! Ok, I'm done whoring this thread, all you need to do is research what combination of parts you want to use...Good luck! :)

I test drove a gsr and a prelude. Didn't like the prelude tranny, and I missed the xtra tq I have in my LS. Plus I like running thru the gears fast on the LS; I know this will affect my top speed but I don't think it will be much of an issue. So what I learned today. I would like to do a turbo on my b18b. I have 3k - 4k to spend for a budget start to finish. What's next?

Start shopping around- also start learning about how to do some of the labor yourself. If you're diligent, you could have a built bottom end with forged internals and a turbo kit you piece together yourself for $4k. If you only have $3k to play with, you might want to look into a low pressure turbo kit with rebuilt stock internals. Even a mild turbo setup on stock internals with the B18B block can net you 250whp EASY.

Just remember that tuning and debugging need to be part of your budget, and that sometimes used parts are your friend. I've got a set of Eagle forged rods for sale that will fit your block perfectly.

:)

Back