B18B swap - intermittent Vtec problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Randy Lahey

hi guy's, this is my first post and i am trying to help my cousin get some information regarding his swap. he has a 98 civic coupe with a jdm 2000 B18B engine with the stock jdm computer.

the Vtec only comes on after driving for 20 mins (average summer weather), it usually won't come on until 4th gear. Then it might work in 1st or 2nd or 3rd but intermittently. 2 different technichians have tried unsucessfully to read the computer. he has replaced the thermostat and there is a crack in the throttle position sensor which needs to be replaced.

is it possible that the crack in the throttle position sensor is causing these intermittent problems or does it have to be something completely different? also does anyone know a good place to buy a throttle position sensor? new or used? i have heard they come complete with the throttle body which is why they are so expensive, can they be purchased seperately?

thanks for the the help.

here is a pic of his car:

IMGP1613.sized.jpg

As I understand it, operating temp, oil pressure and throttle position are the 3 main requirements for VTEC to engage. Get that TPS replaced!

Yes, New Tps, Clean The Screen To The Vtec Solenoid

And Please Check Your Oil Vtec Lovers. "d"

Back