B18b swap into 95 Civic ex will not turn over

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gunsnbam

Hi guys, I swaped a b18b from a running integra obd1 into my 95 civic ex. I plugged everything up and when it was time to crank it up it would not turn over. Headlights, tail lights, and everything turns on but the engine will not turn over. I had the starter and battery checked and they are both good. I have 12v going to both starter wires. Anything you guys can think of?

BTW my integra ls positive battery wire has 3 wires, one going to the fuse box, a second going to the rest of the wiring harness, and a third that I thought just went to a aftermarket stereo. Am i wrong about that? It has a end that looks the same as the end of the wire that goes to the fuse box.

What are all the grounds I need to check? Should there be a ground wire going to the starter? There are only 2 wires going to the starter.

a common one that people miss is the ground from the valve cover to the core support.

Check if power is getting to the Starter (multi-meter). If everything turns on (headlights, etc) then you should see if power is making it to the starter

There are two more grounds, one on the back of the block on passenger side and one on the front of the trans.

Are you sure its not the starter motor itself? if all else fails try tapping on the starter a few times with a wrench and give it a try.

what about your signal? are you getting the signal for the starter to turn it over(from ignition switch). Very good point earlier though grounds are just as important as the power wire just because its connected doesn always mean its grounding make sure you have good connection and also make sure what your bolting down to isn crusty and corroted help this helps keep us posted

There are two more grounds, one on the back of the block on passenger side and one on the front of the trans.

Are you sure its not the starter motor itself? if all else fails try tapping on the starter a few times with a wrench and give it a try.

I have a ground on top of the tranny (kind of underneath the lower radiator house). What is the ground next to on the back of the block? And where does it ground to on the car? I might not have this one.

Ok I have tested everything every way. Apparently it is a wiring problem..but i can not find the starter cut relays... I have looked in my book but they give no idea as to what part of the freakin dashboard they are in. Does anybody know where the starter cut relays are?

And just to make sure, your positive battery term hooks up to the fuse box. And the other fuse box slot hooks up to the wiring harness on the engine correct?

Well i figured it out. Apparently the guy I bought the car from had been playing around with the wiring, the black/white wire that goes to the wiring harness and then to the starter was all ghetto wired to bypass the starter cut relay. But it wasnt pluged into the harness under the hood. I pluged the wire back into the relay and used the stock wireharness set up and the starter fired right up. I have no idea why it was all jacked up and unplugged because I bought the car soon after he blew his engine... and the relay worked..apparently he wasnt very smart.

Anyway the engine still wouldnt start so I plugged up the ECU (apparently its important lol) and the engine fired right up ...then gas spilled everywhere because the fule return line was dissconected but other then that the car runs fine!
Thanks to everybody whose posted so much usefull swap information and helped me out of this site. My first BEAST of a totally stock b18b swap is now alive! Horray! :D (first car too)

Back